Disney Wonder Cruise Review by vernonct

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 9A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
        7-9 1.0

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Not impressed
This was our third Disney cruise. Our daughter is 9 years old and we have done a 3 day sailing and a 7 night sailing before. We really wanted to like this cruise but there were some issues we had. First, most people cruise Disney for the character interaction. What was, two years ago, a somewhat personable experience on Disney has now turned into a deli counter. Basically you are hoarded into lines ( you actually get passes now ) and it is a literally 1 minute interaction with the character and "SMILE" for the $15.95 photo and on to the next!! It felt very much like an assembly line and very impersonal.

Next we have the laundry facilities. There were 2700 people on the boat and a total of 17 washing / drying machines. I have to wonder who did the math on that one but finding a washer / dryer was next to impossible, never mind the fact that these are 1980's style washers. We would lug our laundry down ( or up ) 5 floor and across the ship and nope, no facilities available. Very frustrating.

The pools ( as others have said ) are lacking. It's like taking a bath with 20 (and that's if your lucky, it's usually more like 50) strangers. And inevitably, someone's kid poops or vomits in the pool, shutting it down.

The worst part was the art auctions. We went to three of them. We bought a number of pieces of art and were charged accordingly. After a month, I called and asked where my art was only to be told that Disney cancelled their contract with their art vendor ( West End) effective May 1 so we were basically out of luck. Hmm. Our art was purchased in APRIL. That would be BEFORE the contract ended. I could not get a straight answer out of anyone there as to why they would not honor the auction prices. Worse yet, we bought a piece for $125. They said that they could not fill the order but they could sell it to us for $350. Uh thanks??? My daughter won a painting at the auction and they said we were just out of luck on that $500 painting. But the best part was that they wouldn't refund our money! They said that it was a manual process to refund and it would take at least 8 weeks to refund ( while it accrues interest on my AMEX card) They had the nerve to tell me to call my credit card company to see if they could waive the interest charges for their mistake!! I ended up having to file a claim with my AMEX card to get the money back. It was RIDICULOUS! They also don't have a post cruise concern phone number. Oh nooo, you have to email them. I sent FIVE emails asking for a manager to call me back regarding this issue and when I finally got one call back, the manager was very snooty and unhelpful. Not the service I expect when I pay double on Disney vs. another cruise line.

We went to a few excursions. We went to Las Hadas resort. Disney wanted $125 for adults and $90 for kids for the day. They were sold out so I called the hotel. They sell day passes for $40 ( yes, $40 ) and get this, kids are FREE! Kind of felt that Disney was trying to rip me off on that one but anyhow. Oh, and the $40 that you pay for the day pass is exchanged for food / drink vouches, so essentially, it was free.

We were going to make a reservation on the new ship but honestly, I can't see paying more for this level of service.

Publication Date: 08/28/11