Eurodam Cruise Review by jenl555: Brilliant in Every Way!!!

jenl555
0 Post

Compare Prices on Eurodam Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

Brilliant in Every Way!!!

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Copenhagen

My family and I have just returned from a 12 night cruise on Eurodam and we loved every minute of it! Having cruised previously with P&O, Princess and NCL we were slightly tentative about trying yet another company when the others had always been more than satisfactory. Wow, are we pleased we chose HAL!!! I am 27 years old and have to say this is by far the best ship I have been on to date. I would happily just continue to cruise on Eurodam and not try any others.

As mentioned in some other reviews; the staff on Eurodam are wonderful (with the exception of the Photo Gallery and Shop staff who were very miserable and "pushy" for sales - not what you want on a cruise).

The Indonesian waiting/bar staff are a real credit to HAL and will remain in my memory for many months to come. We had an exceptional waiter in the Rembrant Restaurant (Yohan) and our Wine Steward (Hanna) was also wonderful. It really does enhance one's cruise experience to be lucky enough to have More good wait staff.

Interestingly our Cabin Steward never introduced himself to us, which was unusual. On previous cruises they have always made a point of welcoming you to the ship, etc but this did not spoil our experience at all - just an observation.

Our fellow passengers were friendly, happy and a delight to chat to - whether it be in one of the many wonderful bars onboard or simply in passing in a lift!

One observation, which again did not affect our experience but is worth mentioning, is the noise levels in the cabins. We found our next door neighbours (2 Spanish young men) to be very noisy and they had a squeaky balcony door - which was very annoying upon opening and closing (easily resolvable with some oil I imagine!).

Also, when docking, the ship vibrated quite a lot but this was more amusing than distressing! Certainly nothing to put us off cruising on the Eurodam again.

Our Cruise Director, Patti, brought a real energy to the ship and was really friendly when seen around the ship.

The staff in ALL BARS throughout the ship were VERY friendly and welcoming. I was happy to sit alone at any bar to just chat to them without at any time feeling uncomfortable :-)

Before departing for the cruise I read some reviews which concerned me, i.e. those mentioning Norovirus outbreaks onboard, but on our cruise we were lucky to have not come into contact with a bug such as this. The staff in the Lido (buffet)Restaurant serve the food to you during the first 48 hours of the cruise (as opposed to self service). This helps to prevent the spread of any bugs which may have inadvertently been brought onboard. What a good idea! After 48 hours they relax this process, although some areas of the restaurant continue to serve food via staff, rather than self service.

The cabin has a DVD player which we found to be a really good idea. However, this only plays US region 1 DVDs and not region 2 (UK). As it turned out this wasn't a problem in the slightest as we were hardly ever in the cabin. Should you be cruising Transatlantic, for example, with HAL and may spend more time in your cabin than we did on this cruise, then don't bring region 2 DVDs as they won't work! The good news is - the ship has a DVD hire service in which the staff deliver the DVD of your choice directly to your cabin (I know none of us go on a cruise to watch DVDs though)!

Finally all I can say is - book a cruise on the Eurodam! It is relaxed, friendly, welcoming, warm, memorable and very special.

Many thanks to Holland America for such excellent staff and ships! Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade

Noisy but more the fault of our neighbours than the cabin itself. Elemis products provided in the bathroom - which was excellent. Small bathroom but did not cause a problem. Balcony large but only one comfortable chair, the other was like a waiting room chair. Comfortable beds, good TV.