Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Mostly Sunny: Fabulous

Fabulous

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

My family of 4 plus my son's fiance' flew into Seattle the day before... we hired a car service and they promptly picked us up when we called and drove us to the Hotel Marqueen in the Queen Anne district.. we enjoyed a walk to the Space Needle and eating a fabulous greek diner just up the street from our hotel.

We met the rest of the family (they drove) and the next morning about 10am drove to Pier 91. Very easy, everything is marked very well for us new comers to figure out.. just read the directions, etc. We headed to the entrance to stand in line and we were out of there in no time... if you have your proper documents and your luggage marked correctly with the tags they provide ahead of time.. it is a breeze... The next thing you know you are entering the ship.. We immediately went up to the Windjammer for lunch and enjoyed the view of Seattle and the space needle as it was a spectacular sunny day. We had to wait to get into our room a few hours but that was no biggy... More then our luggage arrived and we met our steward for the week. He got me the extra coat hangers I requested and was fabulous! There was a hair dryer in the room already provided and in the shower there is a dispenser with shampoo with conditioner already in it... not separated. The water is very soft on the ship. There is only one electric plug on the vanity outside of the bathroom so I was glad I had my extension cord. We put all our clothes away in the drawers and our things in the cupboards.. plenty of room. There is a safe in the room too. We had a room with a window and it was on the side of the boat that all of the sights were on so many times we just laid in bed and watched out the window for the ice bergs and scenery... would have loved to have had a balcony but just couldn't afford it.. but having the window was a great choice...

The Rhapsody is easy to maneuver around.. if you get lost just look at the map they have on every floor by the elevators. The ship isn't that huge so it is easy to figure out. We found there were certain places where we started to recognize the bartenders/servers and would go to that person each time.. and they would know who we were and I found that is a fun bonus about cruising..

Our dinner was set for 8:30pm. We enjoyed the food and choices but I am not really that picky and I do not have another cruise to compare the food too. Our waiter was so spectacular that she could have served us rocks and we would have thought it was fine... she and the assistant waiter became like family to us and really made the cruise as special as it was.. It was hard eating that late as we usually didn't leave until about 10pm as serving big groups as ours just takes patients and longer than small groups.. but we had nothing else to do but eat and we always still made it to the evening shows on time. We enjoyed the breakfasts and lunches in the Windjammer Cafe... I liked the omelette bar but it did take time in line and to place your order. but worth the wait.. yummm. The Windjammer cafe is very crowded on the day that we are passing the Tracy Arms glacier.. people could be a little touchy trying to get a table to have the best view... it was packed at 6am and there was a rush at the door to get the best seat.. you could see it from all over though and it isn't really that necessary to be pushy...

The ship always had something going on at all times.. we never were bored. Didn't even open the book I brought with me. Our teen daughter had many choices through out the day also and evening so she was never with out something good and healthy to do... she liked making friends with the kids from all over the country.. On day 5.. we reached an area of the tour that the seas got rougher than normal. We took our sea sick pills as the boat was rocking back and forth way more than I was comfortable with. I read on other posts that because our ship was smaller than other cruise lines.. we feel it a little more.. not sure if that is true but we had trouble walking the halls it was rocking that much. Many, many people got sick including my family but we used the pills and were fine.. other than the annoyance that we couldn't escape that feeling of rocking for a complete day... If I had any complaints, this would be the only one.

I wish I was still on that cruise ship as I miss it... I think I am hooked. Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3

Rooms are tiny but you are barely in there... The bed was very, very comfortable. It had wonderful pillows and we requested two more as we enjoyed being propped up to look out the window. The bed spread was so soft and squishy and felt great. The towels are soft too. I asked for extra towels the first day and Herman always made sure we had some in our bathroom from then on. The rooms are very clean and our steward cleaned the bathrooms and room twice a day. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the elevator was not too far away in both directions. Depending on where we were going.. we just used that elevator. I never could hear the people next door.. the rooms are pretty quiet... except when someone nearby would let there bedroom door slam shut.. but we were probably doing that ourselves too. ;) We didn't have an ice bucket at first but I just asked and it magically appeared. The shower stall is very small but easy to use and I liked that I could adjust the handle to fit my height (short) and my husband could move it back up to fit his height (tall) and I always had hot water... The shower came with a dispenser with shampoo with conditioner already in it and a bar of soap.. that is it. No lotion or seperate shampoos, ect. The closet was big enough for all our clothes and so were the drawers.. and little cub-by areas.. we put all our stuff away and then stored the luggage under the bed to get them out of the way. I was glad I brought an extension cord as there was only one plug at the vanity area. The TV showed some movies and then always replayed the shows on board the next day incase you missed them. I enjoyed the room and wish I was there right now relaxing as I kept myself so busy that I need a vacation from my vacation. lol happy sailings

We paid the money to take the shuttle but to the main part of town instead of walking. I liked that decision. We also used the shuttle bus to go back to the ship in the afternoon to have lunch on board the ship and then returned to town for the rest of the day. Part of our group had an early morning Whale Watching trip planned so we met up with them later on in the day. They really enjoyed the trip.. The rest of the group did sightseeing/shopping while we waited for them to return. The town was lovely but it rained on us the whole time. My fault for not bringing the umbrella.. When we got off the ship, we were bombarded with kiosks and sales persons trying to get us to buy their tour. That was very annoying but that is just how it is. We enjoyed the town but eventually got tired of all the gift shops and jewelry stores.. many, many stores. The group purchased a last minute tour from "last chance tours" and we took a sightseeing mini bus and ended up at the Mendenhall Glacier.. for the same cost if we would have taken the Blue Bus tour.. if you wait long enough.. they wheel and deal to fill up the tours they haven't sold (lol) and we were a big group. The Mendenhall Glacier is wonderful even though it continued to rain on us the whole time. If the weather was better, we would have walked to the waterfall.. but it was a little muddy so we passed. The tour guide was witty and very nice and we enjoyed our tour. They took good care of us and dropped us off at our pier to get us back in time...

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

We were dropped off at the pier directly across from the train depot. Very easy to find everything and an easy walk to town. We took a pre planned and paid tour with Chilkoot tours. They met us at the pier as they said and we had an amazing mini bus tour going up the White pass mountain and back on the mini bus. The guide was born in Skagway and was really helpful. He gave us an amazing tour. It was rainy again in Skagway but still had a wonderful time. At the end of our tour, we asked to be dropped off on the outskirts of town at the local brewery and enjoyed the mini tour and some amazing lunch. We took the public shuttle back and were able to hop on and hop off as needed through out the town. Very low price for the convenience. We really enjoyed the town and the shopping. We liked this port better than Juneau. The feeling was just different and not so "touristy". We had plenty of time to just sit and look around un rushed.. in fact if I could do it again I wouldn't have rushed off the ship in the morning as we went back to the ship that afternoon with about 2 hours to spare... before we took off again. There were plenty of other tours we could have taken to take up our time but we were on a budget so we had to be careful with what we spent. If you take a little walk outside of the pier area.. there is a shelter picnic area and there are lots of Salmon there doing there thing.. swimming up stream. That was fun to watch. Our favorite port for sure.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

Victoria is so beautiful! Very lovely. We got off the ship early as we had a 10am Horse and Buggy ride booked. It was wonderful! Took us all over the town and gave us an idea what were were going to see. When we got off the ship, we took a taxi from the pier to the marina area (across from the Empress Hotel and Down town entrance.) It was cheaper than paying the per person fee for the shuttle. The taxi was about $8.00 plus a tip.. and there were 5 of us so it was pretty reasonable. The shuttle from the bus I believe is $7.95 per person (about that) The walk (about 20 min they say) isn't that far but we didn't realize it until later.. and one of our party had a bad knee so we made the right choice. We took the buggy tour and then continued to shop and walk around the down town area... very easy to find. Fun places to shop with Pubs everywhere and candy shops and Gelato shops ect. Great weather this day too. Lots of sunshine. We had tea at the Empress Hotel. Absolutley amazing! Very fun memory although a little pricy but it was a gift for all the girls from our mother so it was very fun. We didn't have that much time in Victoria so we took a taxi back to the pier as the rest of the boys already were back after sight seeing and were eating lunch on the ship... The day was fabulous!

Read 558 Victoria Reviews