Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Mostly Sunny

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Mostly Sunny
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: Mostly Sunny
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        13-15 5+

Fabulous
My family of 4 plus my son's fiance' flew into Seattle the day before... we hired a car service and they promptly picked us up when we called and drove us to the Hotel Marqueen in the Queen Anne district.. we enjoyed a walk to the Space Needle and eating a fabulous greek diner just up the street from our hotel.

We met the rest of the family (they drove) and the next morning about 10am drove to Pier 91. Very easy, everything is marked very well for us new comers to figure out.. just read the directions, etc. We headed to the entrance to stand in line and we were out of there in no time... if you have your proper documents and your luggage marked correctly with the tags they provide ahead of time.. it is a breeze... The next thing you know you are entering the ship.. We immediately went up to the Windjammer for lunch and enjoyed the view of Seattle and the space needle as it was a spectacular sunny day. We had to wait to get into our room a few hours but that was no biggy... then our luggage arrived and we met our steward for the week. He got me the extra coat hangers I requested and was fabulous! There was a hair dryer in the room already provided and in the shower there is a dispenser with shampoo with conditioner already in it... not separated. The water is very soft on the ship. There is only one electric plug on the vanity outside of the bathroom so I was glad I had my extension cord. We put all our clothes away in the drawers and our things in the cupboards.. plenty of room. There is a safe in the room too. We had a room with a window and it was on the side of the boat that all of the sights were on so many times we just laid in bed and watched out the window for the ice bergs and scenery... would have loved to have had a balcony but just couldn't afford it.. but having the window was a great choice...

The Rhapsody is easy to maneuver around.. if you get lost just look at the map they have on every floor by the elevators. The ship isn't that huge so it is easy to figure out. We found there were certain places where we started to recognize the bartenders/servers and would go to that person each time.. and they would know who we were and I found that is a fun bonus about cruising..

Our dinner was set for 8:30pm. We enjoyed the food and choices but I am not really that picky and I do not have another cruise to compare the food too. Our waiter was so spectacular that she could have served us rocks and we would have thought it was fine... she and the assistant waiter became like family to us and really made the cruise as special as it was.. It was hard eating that late as we usually didn't leave until about 10pm as serving big groups as ours just takes patients and longer than small groups.. but we had nothing else to do but eat and we always still made it to the evening shows on time. We enjoyed the breakfasts and lunches in the Windjammer Cafe... I liked the omelette bar but it did take time in line and to place your order. but worth the wait.. yummm. The Windjammer cafe is very crowded on the day that we are passing the Tracy Arms glacier.. people could be a little touchy trying to get a table to have the best view... it was packed at 6am and there was a rush at the door to get the best seat.. you could see it from all over though and it isn't really that necessary to be pushy...

The ship always had something going on at all times.. we never were bored. Didn't even open the book I brought with me. Our teen daughter had many choices through out the day also and evening so she was never with out something good and healthy to do... she liked making friends with the kids from all over the country.. On day 5.. we reached an area of the tour that the seas got rougher than normal. We took our sea sick pills as the boat was rocking back and forth way more than I was comfortable with. I read on other posts that because our ship was smaller than other cruise lines.. we feel it a little more.. not sure if that is true but we had trouble walking the halls it was rocking that much. Many, many people got sick including my family but we used the pills and were fine.. other than the annoyance that we couldn't escape that feeling of rocking for a complete day... If I had any complaints, this would be the only one.

I wish I was still on that cruise ship as I miss it... I think I am hooked.

Publication Date: 08/24/11