Ruby Princess Cruise Review by shepcookie: Med Cruise Review

Med Cruise Review

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

When we booked, we used Princess EZ-Air as it was cheaper than booking on our own. It was very easy to use, and the ability to pick our flights and departure date was great.

The cruise boarded in Venice on August 8. We were late getting on board due to some type of techinal program. However, we were in our cabin by 1:00. Part of the problem was they collected passports as you boarded. This really slowed down the process. They need to rethink this process.

The cabin was wonderful. We actually had booked a guaranty mini-suite AE cabin, but we were upgraded to a penthouse suite. It came with a lot of additional perks like free Internet, free laundry, and priority tender embarkation in tender ports. Our cabin steward was wonderful. He fully explained all the suite perks and answered all our questions.

The ports were wonderful. We took shore excursions through Princess in all but two ports. The tours where well organized. The only one that we really had a More problem with with the Pisa and Florence on your own. The guide took off at Pisa and never stopped to make sure everyone was with her. It wasn't just that she walked too fast, there were other groups arriving and mixing in with our group. She did a better job at Florence, but she talked way too much on the bus. The guides in Rome were amazing. This was our most crowded port, and they both did a great job keeping everyone together.

The food was good. We never went hungry, but I do think the quality was slightly lower than on previous cruises. We did anytime dining, and with the exception of the last night, we had very good service. The last night, the waiter seemed to have some type of attitude and wasn't very friendly. It was the first time we'd had this waiter so I don't know if he was just having a bad night or if he was always that way. We did eat at the Crown Grill one night. The food was good, but in my opinion, not worth the money. The steak was only slightly better than the one I had in the main dining room. The other options on the menu are pretty limited and most were not items I cared for.

Sea days did not seem to have as many activities as normal. There were things here and there, but overall, there were pockets with very little going on. It is a Med cruise so I know many people just like hanging out at the pool. We're not pool people so that wasn't an option for us.

The evening entertainment was hit and miss. The Welcome aboard show was basically a commercial for the ship. The only exception was a couple of numbers by the Princess dancers and singers and a juggler (who was not very good). However, later in the week, the show Broadway Ballroom and Once Upon a Dream were excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. There was also a comedian and a magician. I didn't really care for either of them either.

There was someone on board that talked about the different ports. These were recorded sessions shown on TV. However, Hutch was great! He was a wealth of knowledge about each port. And, he wasn't annoying!

The overall look of the ship was good. They did a great job of keeping it very clean. I didn't see any areas that looked like they needed updating.

Overall, it was a great cruise. I'd recommend the cruise line and ship to anyone. Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Suite with Balcony Riviera Deck C749

The cabin was wonderful. It had a large balcony. Very clean. The bathroom had two separate areas. One with the jet tub and glass enclosed shower, and another with the toilet and sink. There was a sitting area with a bar sink and second TV. The cabin was at the back of the ship. I think there was some additional vibrations at times, but nothing that really bothered us. It was very quiet. I rarely even heard anyone out in the hallway. Overall, a great cabin!

We took a tour that went to the Acropolis and Corinth. While the Acropolis was really cool once we got to the top, it was crowded. There are 80 steps to the top. However, these are not 80 steep steps in a row. They were broken up so it really was not that hard to climb.

Next, we stopped for a buffet lunch on the way to Corinth. The food was very good.

At Corinth, we first went through a museum. Our guide explained most of the items in the museum. This was overkill for me. I did not care for this part of the tour. We then went out to see the ruins of Corinth. This was really cool to see and hear about. Our last stop was the Corinth canal. We actually drove by it and stopped at a store. It was cool to see. There was a yacht being pulled through as we crossed the bridge.

The ride to and from Corinth was about 1 hour. Overall, we had a wonderful guide and saw some amazing sights.

Our tour was Pisa and Florence on your own. We first drove about 1/2 hour to Pisa. Our tour guide walked way too fast for some on the tour. She was by far my least favorite tour guide. She also talked way too much on the bus. At Pisa, we had about an hour to look around. Not really much here, but there were a few nice shops. We then traveled about an hour to Florence. In both towns, we had to walk quite a ways to get to the meeting place. I would not recommend this tour for anyone that can't walk very well. In Florence, we just went shopping. Lots of leather and jewelry shops. We also ate lunch at a pizzeria (on our own). It was nice, but not my favorite city. We did not go to see any of the sights, though. It might have been more fun if we'd done that. We had about 3 hours of free time. The trip back to the ship was about 1 1/2 hours.

Our tour included the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and the Grand Bazaar. The guide was very good. Hagia Sophia was amazing,and our guide pointed out the restoration of the Christian parts of the building. The Blue Mosque was very beautiful. You do have to take off your shoes to visit this site. Shoulders and knees also have to be covered.

We were then taken to the Grand Bazaar. This included a carpet demonstration, but we skipped that. The Grand Bazaar was loud and filled with a lot of gold shops. We did not enjoy this and ended up taking a shuttle back to the ship.

This was our least favorite port. I have no desire to go back to this city. However, I know others really enjoyed it so it is a matter of personal preference.

Read 262 Istanbul Reviews

Our tour here was to Mary's house, Ephesus, and St. John's church. The ride up the mountain to Mary's house was breathtaking. The area around Kusadasi really is beautiful. We were one of the first to the top; therefore, we did not have to wait to go through the shire to Mary. It was nice, but it isn't the actually house.

Next, we headed to Ephesus. This was amazing. I can't say enough about the sights we saw there. While our guide was not a Christian, she did a good job explaining some of the Christian parts of our tour. We spent most of our time in Ephesus.

Lastly, we stopped at the ruins of a church where the apostle John is buried. This restoration has not been as good here as she mentioned money had run out. It was still cool to see.

Our time in Kusadasi was short as it was only a 1/2 day port. We did not have time to look around the actual town of Kusadasi.

Read 362 Kusadasi Reviews

This was another tender port. We decided not to take a tour here. We just wanted to shop. We were told there were shops near the port and that they opened at 9:00. We found the shops, but there were not very many, and they did not open until 10:00. Everything else to see was up steps or a large hills. Since we opted not to take a tour, we ended up going back to the ship by 11:00. The town was beautiful and nice to see. If I went back, I'd do a tour or take the Hop-on, Hop-off bus.
Read 192 Monaco Reviews

This was a tender port. We decided not to take a tour. The town is very small and it's easy to walk around. It was beautiful. the streets are very narrow and confusing. It was fun to get lost and then find our way back. There were many small shops and restaurants on the island. All the buildings are painted white, but there are splashes of blue here and there.

The island also has several beaches, but we did not go to any of them. I'd definitely come back to this island.

Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

(5.5)
The city of Naples was not great. It was dirty and pickpockets abound. We decided to take a tour of the Amalfi Coast. The first stop was Sorrento. A lovely little town with several shops. We had about and hour in this town. We then boarded the bus for the trap along the coast. I can't even come up with enough words to describe the scenery along the way. The road is narrow and windy so it would not be good for anyone that gets car sick. However, for anyone else, it is a must to see. Just simply AMAZING! We stopped for lunch at a restaurant along the way. The food was good, but the view was breathtaking. Our last stop was the town of Amalfi. We had about an hour here to shop and see the church. I didn't go in the church, but just the outside was amazing. We then headed back to the ship. This was one of the best days on the cruise.

Read 651 Naples Reviews

Our tour in Rome included The Vatican, Trevi Fountain, and The Colosseum. The day we were in this port was very warm and crowded. There were six big ships in the same day. Also, there was a strike in the morning at the Colosseum so all the tours went to the Vatican in the morning. This made it even more crowded. However, we had excellent tour guides. We saw the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. All wonderful to see.

We next stopped at Trevi Fountain. It was so crowded that we did not get to throw our coins in. We only had 10 minutes here. It would have been nice to have more time here.

We then walked to the restaurant for lunch. Again, it was a good lunch.

Lastly, we stopped at the Colosseum. It was crowded as well outside, but inside wasn't too bad.

Overall, another great port!