Star Princess Cruise Review by anon

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Poor Food - Do Not sail with Princess
We booked with Princess (in a previous year we vacationed with Royal Caribbean and thoroughly enjoyed it) this time as it was our honeymoon and we wanted an extra special holiday that offered great food, service and entertainment.

The information on the web site and brochure states :" The comfortable elegance of a Princess Cruise vacation offers everything you could need from a wide variety of freshly prepared cuisine to activities for age, style or mood"

I think not

The food was one of the main areas that was of disappointment

Upon embarkation, we were ushered into the buffet dining room, Horizon Court

Absolutely starving from a morning of travelling, we were looking forward to eating a good hearty lunch. I noticed roughly just 10 trays of hot food, and on closer inspection I could believe what I saw. Absolutely everything was pretty much was deep fried.

Clearly all food was catered for Americans. An example of the food was "grits" (I don't even know what that is!) and Chicago veal

The items that I ate were not good. The quality was poor and I could only eat a few mouthfuls

Your website that that the food is "Fresh, favorful cuisine cooked with passion and care"

Rather upset by our experience at that point, I said to my husband that that we will try the other dining options during the rest of the cruise, my experience of them is as follows:

Prego Pizzeria

Pizzas were below average, certainly not Naples style. We have stayed in Italy on previous holidays and there was certainly no comparison

Trident Grill

Very disappointing, staff in this area were actually quite rude and unfriendly

Burgers were cooked as you wait, well I saw my burger cooked from raw to frozen in about 2 minutes before it was slopped on my plate with a weird shiny roll (there is absolutely no way that their bread is made fresh on the premises)

I had to spit my burger out after a bite, it was awful

I did also try a piece of chicken, well that was unedible as well

Breakfasts

Breakfasts were catered for the Americans, with all American food.

Poor selection and quality

No toast

They did not omelettes while you wait, but the chefs were rude and service was slow

Main restaurant

That leads me on the main restaurant, with the lack of food we had eaten by dinner time we were both starving by dinnertime at around 6.30pm, so proceeded to the main dining room (Portofino dining room)

The restaurant was really quiet at this point, and as we were ushered to a table, we were sat by the waiter's station right next to the bins.

The restaurant was almost empty!!

This actually happened in the two occasions we went there.

As for the menu, where was the steaks, where was the lobster?

(we later found out you only get this if you dine at the Crown Grill restaurant-which you pay extra for)

Entertainment included:

Bingo

Movies under the stars-Barry Manilow in concert

No on board parties

Anyway, I could go on, but I have to say that Royal Carribean are the best cruise liner for entertainment and high quality food

Do NOT cruise with Princess