Regatta Cruise Review by hwr: Anchorage to Vancouver July 2011

Anchorage to Vancouver July 2011

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We chose Oceania based on recommendations from friends that cruise 1-2 times each year, and we would go again.

We boarded the ship in Anchorage, but met at the convention center and were transported to the port where we boarded the ship directly. We were given a time for boarding, and we were able to board a little early, but the room was not ready until the advertised time. The convention center arrangement went smoothly, and checking in at the ship went very well. Perhaps it had to do with passengers arriving one busload at a time.

The room was very nice and the cabin staff very attentive. In fact we were well treated by all of the staff, and many were willing to talk, and that seemed to improve the service even more.

We were pleased with the dining arrangements, usually arrived early, and although there were just 2 of us, we were usually able to dine at a table for two close enough to another couple to enjoy conversation. Service was exceptional most of More the time, and earlier comments must have had some impact. We got to know a couple of the servers, and again, that helped with service. Early AM room service was helpful for the early tours.

The tours/excursions were expensive, although not consistently. I found that some I could book independently for about half the amount, some of the independent tours were about $20 less, and one we took was actually a little bit more than the one organized through Oceania. We spent a week in Alaska on our own before the cruise, so we did not spend much time in the shops, even though the jewelry stores offered "special" prices.

Entertainment was not the strong point of this cruise -- we chose this one because of the ship size, Oceania's reputation, and the amount of time we spent in port. It would be more enjoyable with a small group, but I did not need to see Alaska with 3,000 of my closest friends. I was a little surprised that our tours went well, even when in Juneau and Ketchikan where there were about 10,000 other passengers.

The internet was slow and expensive, but downloading my office and personal email and keeping up with the news did not take much time. Downloads were not as slow as I had feared. Disembarkation in Vancouver went well, and the transfer via bus was easy. We had an enjoyable time. Less

Read more Regatta cruise reviews >>