Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by holidayaholix: The NOT SO FUN ship

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

The NOT SO FUN ship

Sail Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We elected to take the Carnival conquest cruise out of Galveston because we didn't have to fly to Florida and could simply drive to Galveston. We are hardcore Royal Caribbean fans, but decided to give Carnival one more try. We boarded the ship at noon and made our way up to the main buffet dining room. The ship was very crowded as evidenced by our muster drill. The life boats capacity was changed from 122 to 142 just for this cruise, and the crews number was changed from 8 to 10. The captain announced that there were over 3700 people on board. You felt this overcrowded conditions everywhere you went from hallways, to trying to find a seat in the restaurant, to trying to find a seat at the show. Speaking of shows, there was not a show in the main theater every night of the cruise. We only saw two shows the entire seven day cruise. The shows that we did see were mediocre and do not compare to the entertainment on board Royal Caribbean cruise lines. On to the main dining room. We had More selected my time dining for the convenience of being able to go to dinner when we wish. I have never had such horrible service or horrible food on any cruise line that I have ever sailed. We were greeted on formal night from our waiter with the phrase " what do you want". We had to ask for everything. Ask for butter. Ask for bread. Ask for tea. Ask. Ask. Ask. The food was stone cold every night. Not to mention the slight food poisoning my mother got from eating the seafood Newberg. After 3 hours of vomiting she felt better.

Another issue with this cruise was the amount of unescorted, unsupervised, unruly children running around the ship. We were traveling with two children ourselves, and I enjoy having children on the ship for my kids to play with. But letting the kids camp out in the elevators sitting on the floors singing songs? I swear it was like daddy day care gone wrong. These were not teenagers these were kids and the eight to 12 age range.

On our last sea day we tried to play the beanbag toss. We arrived early and waited for the trivia game that was going on to finish. We were then told that too many people have showed up and there would be a Lotto to decide who got to play the beanbag toss. You were supposed to go up to get a ticket with you and your partner together. As hordes of people descended on the activities person, he just started handing out tickets. Our team had one ticket. Others had multiple tickets. Needless to say we did not play in the beanbag toss. Never have I ever been turned away from playing an activity on a cruise because supposedly there was not enough time.

I know that taste in decor can be quite different between people. The theme of the conquest looks to be designed around famous impressionist painters. I think it looks like Monet and Cezanne threw up, and they went with it. (Maybe the seafood again?) One word describes this ship: gaudy.

All I have to say is this:

IT WAS OUR LAST CARNIVAL CRUISE. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper

We too a taxi to El Hecho beach. This just down from Paradise beach. Chairs are free, unbrellas are 10$. To play on the water toys (water trampoline, water pryamid, and others) 10$. Burgers were good and 9$ each. Sodas/ water was 2$ each. Beach is nice/ clean, water was beautiful. Would go there again.

Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews

We elected to take carnivals excursion to stingray city and to hell. This was a mistake. The boat for the stingrays was so crowded. The guides brought little to no food for the stingrays. The guides basically caught and held two stingrays for the 60 people on the boat. There was no photographer on the boat. Have done this with royal Caribbean before, and it was much better.

We elected to do a day pass at Rose Hall Resort with the water park for the kids. If you book it direct you can get adults $75 and kids $50. This is to stay for the day at the all inclusive resort, all meals and alcohol included. The beach at the resort was awful. The kids did enjoy the water park.