Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by holidayaholix

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by holidayaholix
Carnival Conquest
Cabin Category: 8A
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 1.0

The NOT SO FUN ship
We elected to take the Carnival conquest cruise out of Galveston because we didn't have to fly to Florida and could simply drive to Galveston. We are hardcore Royal Caribbean fans, but decided to give Carnival one more try. We boarded the ship at noon and made our way up to the main buffet dining room. The ship was very crowded as evidenced by our muster drill. The life boats capacity was changed from 122 to 142 just for this cruise, and the crews number was changed from 8 to 10. The captain announced that there were over 3700 people on board. You felt this overcrowded conditions everywhere you went from hallways, to trying to find a seat in the restaurant, to trying to find a seat at the show. Speaking of shows, there was not a show in the main theater every night of the cruise. We only saw two shows the entire seven day cruise. The shows that we did see were mediocre and do not compare to the entertainment on board Royal Caribbean cruise lines. On to the main dining room. We had selected my time dining for the convenience of being able to go to dinner when we wish. I have never had such horrible service or horrible food on any cruise line that I have ever sailed. We were greeted on formal night from our waiter with the phrase " what do you want". We had to ask for everything. Ask for butter. Ask for bread. Ask for tea. Ask. Ask. Ask. The food was stone cold every night. Not to mention the slight food poisoning my mother got from eating the seafood Newberg. After 3 hours of vomiting she felt better.

Another issue with this cruise was the amount of unescorted, unsupervised, unruly children running around the ship. We were traveling with two children ourselves, and I enjoy having children on the ship for my kids to play with. But letting the kids camp out in the elevators sitting on the floors singing songs? I swear it was like daddy day care gone wrong. These were not teenagers these were kids and the eight to 12 age range.

On our last sea day we tried to play the beanbag toss. We arrived early and waited for the trivia game that was going on to finish. We were then told that too many people have showed up and there would be a Lotto to decide who got to play the beanbag toss. You were supposed to go up to get a ticket with you and your partner together. As hordes of people descended on the activities person, he just started handing out tickets. Our team had one ticket. Others had multiple tickets. Needless to say we did not play in the beanbag toss. Never have I ever been turned away from playing an activity on a cruise because supposedly there was not enough time.

I know that taste in decor can be quite different between people. The theme of the conquest looks to be designed around famous impressionist painters. I think it looks like Monet and Cezanne threw up, and they went with it. (Maybe the seafood again?) One word describes this ship: gaudy.

All I have to say is this:

IT WAS OUR LAST CARNIVAL CRUISE.

Publication Date: 08/23/11