Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by phredclark: Radiance Alaska 8/5

Radiance Alaska 8/5

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Regular cruisers with Royal Caribbean, 3 times on this ship. Updates to the ship were nice but I agree with other posters that the restaurants that take space away from the Windjammer are a rip-off. Food quality is becoming more and more institutional. That said, I had a steak in Chop's that was one of the best I have ever eaten. Service in Chop's was spectacular.

Service on board was very good. This Captain runs a very tight ship and every person I interacted with was professional. Too bad I never saw the TV repairman.

I had a few issues with the new TV's in the staterooms, no reception for most of the cruise. Multiple repairs were fruitless. Not too bad though, I wasn't forced to watch the cruise directors pitch for every stupid jewelry store in the ports (the exact same as every Caribbean port).

Good service in the dining room. Wine was decent but certainly at restaurant prices not liquor store prices, no real surprise here.

We had GREAT weather, More no rain at all. Very unusual from what I hear.

We will cruise again with RCI but I wish they would work on improving food quality in the Windjammer. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 9260

back of ship, great view, spacious balcony with nice chairs and table. TV is terrible, never worked and repairs failed. Funky smell that was helped by the air cleansing unit the room steward brought. I love the location but the room was a little disappointing.

We enjoyed the Tribal Dance but this "port" is a joke. Run by the cruise lines in a "city" that never really existed. The residents of Hoonah, AK (just up the road) really resent this "town" and rightfully so. Again, mostly gift shops and crappy "restaurants". The two restaurants ran out of food several times and had it shipped in cold. I had to wait twice while food got hot. Unbelievably poor idea of a port of call.

I really enjoyed Juneau but again the cruise ship owned jewelry stores are a joke.

We did the helicopter to the glacier and had a blast. The flight was fun and informative and the pilot a total professional. Once on the glacier we were met by very professional guides who gave a great tour and took pictures,etc. I highly recommend this trip. If you can book it directly it may be cheaper. Also, if you are near 250 pounds, lie about your weight. The "surcharge" is another way to extract money. There were several people that easily weighed >250 that didn't pay. The fact is, they fill the helicopter with 5 people if they are close to the limit.

YOU MUST go to Tracey's King Crab Shack, on the dock near the ship. It is a shack but they have VERY fresh crab and make a killer bowl of bisque. This was the best crab I have ever eaten, it was worth every penny.

Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Great port stop (excluding the cruise line owned jewelry stores). We took the inflatable boat tour on an absolutely beautiful day. The guide was friendly and we saw whales, seals, otters and eagles. The tour provider (arranged through RC) was very professional and they provided all necessary equipment. In fact, we had to leave behind our coats etc so we could wear their cold weather/water proof material. A great idea. I highly recommend this trip if you like boating and are capable of driving a small outboard.

We had a good time in Skagway but the cruise-arranged horseback riding is horrible assuming you know the front of the horse from the back. My wife went and said this was the inly disappointment in all of our excursions.

I went on a Harley tour arranged directly with Erik at Skagway Motorcycle Company on 5th Ave in town. This was FABULOUS. Erik and his wife are exceptionally nice and provide a great tour. If you ride and have a motorcycle license, GO! It is one of the most scenic rides I have ever taken. You save a bundle because they don't book through the cruise lines. That would more than double the cost because the cruise lies take huge cut from every provider. Take a leather jacket as it gets a bit windy and cool as you climb out fo the valley that houses Skagway. Here is a link: http://www.skagwaymotorcycle.com/

The clam chowder at the Skagway Fish Company is pretty damn good when accompanied by a cold draft. Local staff with a laid-back attitude, so don't expect to be treated like royalty, just enjoy the food.

Read 643 Skagway Reviews