Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by xopaniclover

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by xopaniclover
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: xopaniclover
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

How You Cruisin? 9 night explorer of the seas!
Day 1: (I came with my family and family friends)..woke up early, & we left the house at 11 a.m and drove to Cape Liberty. ( I already live in NJ, this was great cause the drive was only about a half hour/ 45 minutes. There was a bit confusion. The GPS/ maps didn't mention a certain street which should be fixed. but Embarkation was really fast. The lines sped up quickly, they checked our passports..it didn't take too long and I like that theres a table with ice tea, and lemonade and snacks for people, and little tables to sit. We soon boarded, and It was kinda different from the Carnival ship I went on. It wasn't as impressive. The Royal Promenade wasn't that fascinating. The Carnival Victory ship had glowing green lights and exciting music playing all the time & it was a fun environment.

It was crowded at the WindJammer. There was a lot to eat,but my mom's a diabetic, there should be a healthier eating arrangement of foods. the sandwiches were a bit skimpy and tiny. but overall, i thought the food was pretty good. lots of options. I shared a room with my 2 sisters.. we had more than enough space for clothe, bathroom was tiny compared to Carnivals. I mean on the carnival ship.. you had a seating area near the bathroom, the shower is tiny to even move in, but oh well! We got our luggage fast, i know other people didn't get it until 9 at night :O anyways, we soon sailed off which was exciting to take pictures of the statue of liberty & the verazano bridge.

I changed later on, and the Welcoming Show was exciting. the dancers and singers are so entertaining.. im jealous of their glittery outfits! Adam Ace was a pretty funny comedian too. Our dinner is at 8:30, which I loved because it gives you enough time to relax, sit on the deck, change and take your time to shower. I was very impressed with our waiters, don't exactly know his name.. I think it was Samiskumar, hes from India and Elias. They were GREAT. There was good food that night, hot & sour shrimp & a quesadilla & dessert. The Casino, i checked out.. the floor when you enter is BEAUTIFUL, all the colors are so fun. I saw some wear & tear on the ship.. stains, rust, carpet rip, but not a big deal at all. I went to the teen optix club, which I really didn't like. I met some nice people, but it wasn't my thing at all.

Day 2:

Woke up late for dining room breakfast so my sisters & I had breakfast in the windjammer.. very good food that I wouldn't have at home.. tried a bit of eggs, fruit, potatos, juice. My sister & I went to the gym, lots of equipment and yoga and classes. ( Make sure you bring more then 1 pair of shorts to sweat in!)

I layed out on the deck with family, the weather was beautiful the whole trip. The pool's water is perfect temperature.. very cooling. Motion sickness wasn't a problem for me, I don't really mind it, once in a while you can feel the boat's swaying and bumpyness but very smooth ride. Tonight was the formal dinner, yay! Had plenty of time to curl hair & shower.. lots of photographers set up to take pictures. For dinner, I had escargot, and Indian curry,love Indian food. The Invitation to Dance show was great. If you like Dancing With The Stars, you'll love this. I'm 14, I was put into the 12-14 group, but imn mature for my age, and im friends with mostly 15 year olds so I wanted to switch to the 15-17 group. The girl I talked to at Guest Relations Desk didn't say much. She didn't even help.. she just said we can't switch,so I was kinda bummed out. My dad had a point.. we're paying for this cruise.. I want to enjoy my time here! At night, the room stewards made a towel dog for our room, aww.

Day 3: We're docked in Bermuda!!! wooh, time to get off this ship & explore. For breakfast, I had a bagel with smoked salmon & cream cheese, & fruit, mmm. We rented towels on the pool deck, Bermuda looks like Europe! The buildings look so historical, like Italy or Greece kinda. We took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay ( aka Pink Sand Beach) I was a bit dissapointed to see the rain pouring. On the beach, the rain soon cleared up shortly & the sun was out. The weather was hot! Couldn't ask for better weather. The sand looks like normal sand.. expected it to be a bit more pink but when you pink up some sand near the water.. there are lots of pink grains! The water was GORGEOUS, beautiful. there was a small cove for people who don't like to go in far, & people could climb the rocks. I was shocked to hear how expensive the island is. Gas is nearly $9! We had lunch in the Windjammer, rested in our cabins, and got dressed. Tonight was 70's themed night, there was a disco/village people party on the promenade which was fun.

Day 4: At sea. Woke up early & had breakfast in the dining room with my dad. It was different, today we sat with a nice older couple who were from Ohio & were funny. I went to the gym, and tanned on the pool deck. I checked out Deck 14 which is a cozy quiet lounge area indoors, and then rock climbing, skating & golf outdoors, never got to try any of that :( but it's on my list for next time! My dad got us switched to the older group, the manager was nice & made an exception easily & the teen Optix club was a lot of fun, met some nice people!

Day 5: Docked in St Maarten!! had a small breakfast in the Windjammer & headed off for our island tour which was interesting & fun! Learned about the Dutch & French side. We went to Maho beach where the planes fly over your head, awesome experience! The island looks so tropical. All the houses are colors of green,purple,pink! The tour driver stopped whenever we wanted to take pictures, he was funny! He provided us with complimentary beverages in a cooler which was great! We shopped around for a bit, and soon went to Orient Beach.. nude beach. the sights.. were interesting LOL. We soon got back on the ship & got ready for dinner. Our waiter Samiskumar was AMAZING. He always made us laugh, and told us funny jokes or a new trick every night. He catered to our every need & always made sure we were satisfied with our food. Elias was great too, constantly refilled our water, spoke a little Spanish to him haha!

Day 6: My family & family friends all sat and had breakfast together. St. Thomas looked the same as St. Maarten! We shopped a bit, and had lunch at a restaurant which was kinda hidden, but we had an amazing view of the ship, water & palm trees. Later on the ship, we had tickets & went to the Ice Show which was AMAZING. small ice rink, and they were so flexible & entertaining, had me on the edge of my seat! after dinner, we went to the Love & marriage Game show, which was HILARIOUS. I was laughing every second, & our cruise director, Jimmy Rhodes was too funny.

Day 7: Docked at 8, and had to be back on board by 12:30, very short amount of time. The weather was very humid & hot all trip. We explored San Juan, very nice sights. El Convento was interesting. It was around from the 1600's or so, it was a nun house which is now a hotel! The scenery was beautiful. We saw the fort near the water. Lots of exotic animals on the island ! Had dinner on the ship, and went to the teen club which was fun.

Day 8: Pretty much slept all morning, got up at 2 ish and sat out on the deck to soak up the sun with my sisters. At 6, we started to get ready for the formal dinner. Mmmm delicious lobster dinner! We took pictures with the waiters! We saw a cute show afterwords, based on famous movie songs like Footloose & Dirty Dancing. I hung out with friends on the deck afterwards which was relaxing. We got a cute hanging towel monkey later at night:)!

Day 9: Lunch in the dining room was so good! There is a salad bar in the front where they prepare a salad for you, they made me a Greek salad & it was SO GOOD. We started packing up all our stuff. I was kinda excited to go back home, missed my cats too much! Went ice skating which was fun, I have no clue how those ice skaters could be so graceful on such slippery ice!! The comedian before dinner was really funny!, Jimmy rhodes was great & made us laugh with the Top 10 funniest questions asked! I wasn't impressed with tonight's dinner. I got a calzone, which honestly tasted like cold pizza ick. the pumpkin soup wasn't what i expected, it was like a salty clam chowder. and the steak was either really pink or dry. but our waiters were still great & made sure we were happy.

I later on met up with friends where we stayed out and had drinks at the promenade cafe, and went all the way up to the Helicopter pad and it was windy, yet beautiful.. couldn't believe we were almost reaching New Jersey. We dipped our feet in the hot tub, so relaxing. On the last day, there was a group of teenagers who were being really disruptive, and screaming/singing on every balcony floor of the promenade.. security was pissed.. but we found it funny hahah.

Everything was great. The music on the ship was lively & fun, mostly reggae. I wish there were a few more family/ teen activities. A lot were for adults, like karaoke.

Also for the 1 A.M cruise curfew for junior cruisers.. I guess it's a good ruled that was enforced. There were workers who asked to check our Seapass cards for our age, but I don't think they should tell you when to go to your cabin unless your causing harm and being disruptive like running around.. I was usually just sitting outside on the deck with a few people!

Publication Date: 08/22/11