Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by LVNJ09

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Enjoyed our Cruise!
We are a family of three and love to have our own space (get away from the crowds).....upgrading to an Aft penthouse (0064) worked perfectly for us!!! For starters, we have only cruised with NCL (cannot compare to other lines). We traveled as a family of 3 (my husband, my son 18, and myself). Sky offers what we are looking for on a four night cruise.....a little relaxation, not a lot of fuss, but love a perk or two here and there. Other than one of our excursions, my only complaint about the Sky was the bathroom in our cabin is in need of a makeover/upgrade. On the up side, the balcony is an amazing size (easily fit a table, 4 or 5 chairs and two lounge chairs) - with two sliding glass doors to get on and off balcony, it was very easy to move about.

We never hit the main dining rooms (dined french, steak, longboards and italian....all good, french was our favorite), never saw a full show (our choice), went to two bingo's, would grab a little food from time to time up in buffet area, but mostly went down the one level to eat at our cabin when we did(our room was just below outside buffet area), can't comment on pools (never bothered) and only walked through the casino. We took lots of pictures with the photographers and took advantage of the one price offering for all photos.

Our room steward kept on on the cabin, we never had to ask for anything; he would even open the door for us if he saw us walking to our cabin (thanks Joseph); there were even towel animals every night! Still not sure how we can better utilize a butler, loved having our concierge a call away to help with reservations, etc.

Excursion 1 -- we went to Atlantis on the Aquaventure. Overall, we all were extremely disappointed (July in the heat didn't help). I have to say, we felt they took the money and ran. Many people, long lines, tube shortage === a disappointing time! I really won't go into it; but having a manager tell my husband I wasn't working hard enough to get a tube while I was standing in the middle of the river for about 1/2 hour getting kicked, etc., waiting for someone to get off a tube was insulting (it's simple math). Once having tubes, the bottlenecks created were horrible (they were even asking people to get out of river and walk to next section). If you got a tube, at every intersection when people had access to grab tubes....it was like people hailing a cab in New York -- and this is vacation. At least I know now, I never will go there on my vacation again.

Great Stirrup Cay -- this was our third time there and can see many upgrades....it's coming along. Biggest changes are the tenders dock at arrival and the food buffet and pavilion of tables are much improved.

Excursion 2 -- Jeep excursion at Freeport. We all loved it! JP our guide was very personable and knowledgeable of the area. OK....no real 4 wheeling, but it didn't matter. Both automatic and manual jeeps were available and each group got to ride in their own jeep. A+ tour in my opinion! A great way to see Freeport.

Overall -- having been in the ship before helped us a lot. We are learning how to avoid things on ships that aren't our thing and find sections of the ship that are of interest to us. With excursions every day, it was early mornings off the ship and we usually ended up on our deck at night watching the stars. Thanks to the staff of the Sky helping us along the way in making our vacation great!

Publication Date: 08/21/11