Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by HollandOHgal: First time cruiser with a group

HollandOHgal
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

First time cruiser with a group

Sail Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Embarkment was pretty much what most people said. It took about 45 minutes to an hour. Most of the Royal Caribbean staff were friendly but gentlemen at the end directing you to a person to get your sea pass seamed more like a drill Sargent then a welcomer but based on the number of people that were trying to get on I could see why he was where he was. We got at the port at noon and were on board by 1pm and our room was ready so we went to check it out. Port hole was nice but when we sail again would get a room with more space like the one our friends got which had a balcony. We were hungry so we went up to the Windjammer to see what was to eat. I have a severe Sulfite allergy and was told by our travel agent that everything was put on my sea pass. We got there and it was a lie nobody knew about my allergy. Also for 1st timers be aware nothing is for free on your cruise. A gentleman handed us what we thought was a complimentary drink and it wasn't $20 later we learned our first lesson. More Very crazy and busy up in Windjammer I asked for assistance to try an figure out what I could have and basically was told not much here but couldn't say for sure. So I took my life in my own hands and had a dry hamburger and cardboard pizza.I had no reaction so I found a few things to eat here. My husband had a variety and said it was all OK.

We check out the ship and were surprised by its mass and all the things to do on it. We went back to our cabin to unwind a bit and took a nap on bed. It was very comfortable king. 4pm muster drill listen to your cabin stewart John on direction our on our cabin door took us way our of the way.And FYI they are looking for your folio number last four digits a bit confusing.John was great he went looking for our luggage at 5:30 when we didn't have it yet and came back with all the pieces after 2 trips. Because we were with a group of 21 our more experience cruiser said it was better to have assigned time. Ours was 8:30 and I had to go through whole allergy thing again. Averil our waiter was great he went and got the Head waiter James right away and they with the chef came up with something for me to eat. It was good. After that I was given a menu every night for the next day and was advise it would be better for me to dine in the Main dinning room as much as possible which we did. The first morning I went to the medical facility because I had fallen at the airport and cut my leg pretty good. I went down to get advise because we had booked ahead of time excursions. I was told it was too late to do anything for my leg because I should have had stitches but to keep it covered & here are some band-aids & antibiotic suave. No one could tell what it would cost to see the doctor or what a tetanus cost.I was not impressed. Now if I had lied and said I did it on their stairs I would have got to see doctor for free. But I'm an honest person and I figured I would keep it dry and should be OK.

Biggest pain is the elevators they do need more and parents should depend on the ship to be their kids babysitters. There were alot of kids I'd say tweens who were messing around with the elevators but I don't know what the ship could do about that. We took the stairs as much as possible because of this. Breakfast was good in main dining and we saw all of our wait staff then too. I don't know when these guys sleep but they all were great. We saw several shows and liked the magic/illusionist he was great. Unfortunately but necessary interrupted by the Captain asking for blood donors. Some of our party was the person's blood type so were going to donate but were told they had enough donors. The Captain stopped the ship to see what had to be done for this poor soul. Within a couple hours we were on our way and made our next port on time.

Excursion staff were good and gave us info on things we choose. I will review those later. We got the coke package and the auto dispenser was broke so anytime you wanted a pop you had to go to the bartenders. I felt sorry for them so on occasion we would order a mixed drink and give them an extra tip. The ice cream cone sprinkles was good and hit the spot on those hot days. If you go on deck make sure you where plenty of sunscreen our first day looking around we got a little burnt. Overall I'd say we had a fun time and would recommend this cruise ship. Plus over all most other cruiser are good people. We just experience a few pushy ones who were saving pool chairs,seats you always will have that with over 3000 people. At breakfast we meet alot of new people and they were all great. With my allergies it might be hard but on our next cruise I would like to do my dining because then we have alot of flexibility. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Ocean View Stateroom Deck 9 2558

Bathroom was OK but no plugs so hair drying was out in cabin. We had an adjoining cabin which we could hear someone coughing up a lung in the morning and fighting at night which usually ended by 11pm. Closet seemed a good size but open area we wished was larger it was hard for 2 people to get dress for dinner every night so we had to allow more time especially on the formally night. Our cabin steward John was great. Mini bar people were not on the ball. We purchased beverage and water packages. They gave us 2 sovereign cups that were the same we found out later that their were different types. They kept charging us for water even though we had a full case there we just didn't have it out in front of min frig. Which is what guest services advise us to do. This was dumb take a small cabin and make it smaller with a box in the middle of it. Had to go to guest services to have it remove twice. Port hole is nice. The natural light make it seem more like a moving hotel.

We didnt do anything at this port.

Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

I would have gave the Chukka Zipline Canopy with Dunn River a 5+ if we did the fall last just because it was so hot. Bring a change of close and tennis shoes because Ziplining in a bathing suit and water shoes isn't comfortable. I am afraid of heights but this is an awesome excursion. Our tour guide Camille and driver Gold were great.Gold stays with your stuff all the time so you don't have to worry about it. Bring a waterproof camera or plan on paying $8 a picture which we found out later is cheap for excursion photos. We took and air condition bus to the Dunn River falls. First part was slippery and they try and get you to all hold hands not a good idea basically we all tried and help each other my husband helped me than helped a lady behind us. Their was a lady in front of us who helped me on occasions. Water is cold but feels great way too busy though. I bet their was 250 climbing up the falls at once. Basically got shove through too quickly. Then we went with our wet bathing suits to lunch. It was good and no allergy problem. Warning to all hot food lovers I wouldn't but the sauce on the chicken its already spicy enough. My husband couldn't drink enough to cool himself down. From lunch we drove up a one lane road to our first platform and got our gear on. My first 2 platforms I was terrified but once I realized that one of the guides would caught me because for some reason I was spinning. It was a blast and I'm proud of myself that I did it. My husband enjoyed it as well but wished we had more platforms because once you get the technique of braking down the tour is over and ends with a beautiful walk through beautiful jungle of flowers,etc. This was an excellent excursion but it is an all day thing so planning on being a bit tired after it.

Read 474 Falmouth Reviews

We did the turtle and dolphin excursion. If you are planning on it being a one with nature event forget those ideas. It is a tourist trap. The dolphins are neat turtles after about 5 minutes of looking at them it gets boring. It is neat petting the dolphin but you are funneled into a tank with what is a Sea World like dolphin who is cool but contrived. To add insult to it all pictures are $25 a piece and packages are $400 plus no cameras in the tank area. My husband didn't want to do it because he thought it would be contrived and he was right. Most of us that went on the cruise did it and we all were disappointed. Save you $80 a person and go to the beach or stay on the ship. We canceled another excursion on Cozumel because we didn't wanted a day for resting. We should have kept the Cozumel excursion. If you want to see dolphins go to Sea World.