Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by HollandOHgal

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by HollandOHgal
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: HollandOHgal
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: G

First time cruiser with a group
Embarkment was pretty much what most people said. It took about 45 minutes to an hour. Most of the Royal Caribbean staff were friendly but gentlemen at the end directing you to a person to get your sea pass seamed more like a drill Sargent then a welcomer but based on the number of people that were trying to get on I could see why he was where he was. We got at the port at noon and were on board by 1pm and our room was ready so we went to check it out. Port hole was nice but when we sail again would get a room with more space like the one our friends got which had a balcony. We were hungry so we went up to the Windjammer to see what was to eat. I have a severe Sulfite allergy and was told by our travel agent that everything was put on my sea pass. We got there and it was a lie nobody knew about my allergy. Also for 1st timers be aware nothing is for free on your cruise. A gentleman handed us what we thought was a complimentary drink and it wasn't $20 later we learned our first lesson. Very crazy and busy up in Windjammer I asked for assistance to try an figure out what I could have and basically was told not much here but couldn't say for sure. So I took my life in my own hands and had a dry hamburger and cardboard pizza.I had no reaction so I found a few things to eat here. My husband had a variety and said it was all OK.

We check out the ship and were surprised by its mass and all the things to do on it. We went back to our cabin to unwind a bit and took a nap on bed. It was very comfortable king. 4pm muster drill listen to your cabin stewart John on direction our on our cabin door took us way our of the way.And FYI they are looking for your folio number last four digits a bit confusing.John was great he went looking for our luggage at 5:30 when we didn't have it yet and came back with all the pieces after 2 trips. Because we were with a group of 21 our more experience cruiser said it was better to have assigned time. Ours was 8:30 and I had to go through whole allergy thing again. Averil our waiter was great he went and got the Head waiter James right away and they with the chef came up with something for me to eat. It was good. After that I was given a menu every night for the next day and was advise it would be better for me to dine in the Main dinning room as much as possible which we did. The first morning I went to the medical facility because I had fallen at the airport and cut my leg pretty good. I went down to get advise because we had booked ahead of time excursions. I was told it was too late to do anything for my leg because I should have had stitches but to keep it covered & here are some band-aids & antibiotic suave. No one could tell what it would cost to see the doctor or what a tetanus cost.I was not impressed. Now if I had lied and said I did it on their stairs I would have got to see doctor for free. But I'm an honest person and I figured I would keep it dry and should be OK.

Biggest pain is the elevators they do need more and parents should depend on the ship to be their kids babysitters. There were alot of kids I'd say tweens who were messing around with the elevators but I don't know what the ship could do about that. We took the stairs as much as possible because of this. Breakfast was good in main dining and we saw all of our wait staff then too. I don't know when these guys sleep but they all were great. We saw several shows and liked the magic/illusionist he was great. Unfortunately but necessary interrupted by the Captain asking for blood donors. Some of our party was the person's blood type so were going to donate but were told they had enough donors. The Captain stopped the ship to see what had to be done for this poor soul. Within a couple hours we were on our way and made our next port on time.

Excursion staff were good and gave us info on things we choose. I will review those later. We got the coke package and the auto dispenser was broke so anytime you wanted a pop you had to go to the bartenders. I felt sorry for them so on occasion we would order a mixed drink and give them an extra tip. The ice cream cone sprinkles was good and hit the spot on those hot days. If you go on deck make sure you where plenty of sunscreen our first day looking around we got a little burnt. Overall I'd say we had a fun time and would recommend this cruise ship. Plus over all most other cruiser are good people. We just experience a few pushy ones who were saving pool chairs,seats you always will have that with over 3000 people. At breakfast we meet alot of new people and they were all great. With my allergies it might be hard but on our next cruise I would like to do my dining because then we have alot of flexibility.

Publication Date: 08/21/11