Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Sam16: Wow! Wow! Wow!

Sam16
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

The Eclipse is the most beautiful ship.

On arrival at Southhampton the Embarkation was very quick, very smooth with no problems. We were shown our room which was an inside Cabin - we booked kind of late so were slightly wary, no worries! the cabin was lovely we had enough wardrobe space and cupboards and drawers so that was a good start, as I had a huge suitcase ( no weight restriction at Southampton), the Cabin also had a leather sofa, chair, dressing table, coffee table, a flat screen TV, mini bar and Kettle, the bathroom had plenty of room and a good size shower and cupboard space. ( all very nice).

This ship is so beautiful, Celebrity have though of everything, the decor is superb and the attention to detail is superb, I am sure that even after 14 days on this ship I have not seen everything, or I have missed some things.

The Moonlight Dining Room is lovely and we were seated at a table with 2 other couples and have made some nice friends, the staff go More all out to please and are all very nice, my only gripe would be that they don't get the vegetarian concept. We are vegetarian and on the main menu there is only 1 choice, there is a vegetarian menu but they have the same as the main menu with 1 other choice and sometimes it is just not what you would like. We asked/gave them some suggestions and they did try to accommodate. I suggest you make it known at your booking before you board that you are vegetarian and they will cater more, what we had was very nice.

The Ocean view Restaurant is packed with all sorts of food and you tend to pig out when you go there, again the staff go all out to please and there is plenty of choice.

We did not use the speciality restaurants but I believe they were very good indeed.

There is no end to the things that you can do on board, theatre, cinema, spa, pool,various activities day and night, casino, library, i lounge, kids corner, and gym. There is a grass area on deck 14 which is a strange concept, you can be in the middle of the sea and stand on real grass. there are two small pools and one indoor solarium pool for adults. The one thing that had people talking was, there should be an adult only outdoor pool, we went 30/07/11 and there were lots of children so it was hard to cool off in the pool, but its the kids holidays too and they were enjoying it. I must say that this is the first time I have seen so many children and they really were not a problem as the ship is so large, you did not feel crowded and you can always find a corner to hide away and get some quiet time.

All the staff on this ship went the extra mile to make sure your holiday went smoothly, the staff are worth their weight in gold and I cannot praise them enough. Well done all of them because it can't be easy.

Trips:

Gibralta - do it on your own. There are small mini buses outside the port that will take you up to the Rock for a fraction of the price and drop you back down in town, the walk back does not take long, 15 mins max.

I will say that the trips that the ship organise are good if you are unsure of doing them on your own, we did 2 with the ship but would try it on our own the next time.

All in All we have had the time of our lives and will definitely go on a Celebrity Cruise again. I can't wait....... Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Inside Stateroom Vista Deck (8) 3172

We were in an inside cabin 3172 mid ship just beside guest relations desk, every night they had music or something going on and we though we would hear the noise, we heard nothing it was so quiet. Also there was no movement on that deck, we never knew we were moving. We felt we had plenty room for our clothes, the bed was very comfortable. I would say that they could have had better pillows but that is a minor thing. I would ask for that cabin again.

Trips:

We only saw 2 monkeys, they must have all been walk about at the other side of the island. St. Michael Caves were worth seeing.

If you have time to stand at one of the view points that overlook the Airport Runway, it is worth watching, when a plane is approaching; pedestrians, cyclists and motorists clear the road, the barrier comes down and the plane lands!!!

The shopping is good, duty free prices.

Next Stop was Toulon in France, we only got off and went about locally.

Next Stop was Italy ( 2 ports) we did Pisa, we took a shuttle bus from the ship and a bus from town to Pisa for 12 euro each return.

Rome:is amazing if it is your first trip I would go with the ship's tour

Sardinia: Has nice country side and the port side of the town is pretty so is the view point at the highest point, plenty of shops, we were there on a Sunday so they were all closed.