Norwegian Star Cruise Review by rosey1946: A Mixed Bag

A Mixed Bag

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I've heard that if you go to Alaska it will grab you and you will return. And so I did return. I was taking this cruise with 3 family members and my first problem was choosing a cabin. I worked with my NCL cruise consultant and looked at a range of possibilities. The only thing I requested was no trundle bed as I did not want wall to wall beds. The consultant recommended an inside room with two lower beds and two pullmans. We were placed on the 12 deck and assured this would be fine as we were on a new deck-the Star had been refurbished-and so would have a new cabin. Keep in mind I had told the consultant I would book up to a mini suite. The cabin was horrific. We are a close family and get along well, or thanks to the close quarters, we would have murdered each other. You could not get dressed or do anything if all four were in the cabin. We ended up using the library as a "living room" and as each got dressed, they left and met up in the library. In addition to being the smallest More cabin I've ever had, it was ugly. Dull brown walls, no color.

Let's get to other things than the cabin. As the Star had demolished its' Spinnaker with it's huge glass windows over the bow, I had done so much homework for the cruise, I took out Spa passes for my family and we spent wonderful hours sitting on lounges watching the incredible beauty of Alaska pass by.

The Star itself was very well kept, very clean and I thought wonderful. We loved the main dining rooms and although NCL has changed their menus to mostly the same choices every night,they do have some new selections nightly. All the food was tasty and well presented. We ate in Le Bistro two nights as we are Platinum members and receive dinner for two free in this restaurant as part of the Latitudes member perks. The Blue Lagoon was also very good for breakfast and we enjoyed the quiet in the mornings.

As far as activities, we did a couple of trivia competitions and saw most of the nightly shows. We loved Elements and Band on the Run. Also the hypnotist was so good, we also attended two additional sessions he held in the daytime. I like the entertainment on NCL and find their ensemble shows very good.

I'll review the ports later, which is really the heart of why we did this cruise.

I hate to add another negative but feel I have to as NCL needs to be more careful on which crew member to put in a supervisory position. We all went to the lifeboat practise. We were greeted by a crew member who wanted us to go down stairs in the Stardust lounge. I asked if my 77 year old handicapped friend could stay in an available chair near the entrance and not have to go down the stairs. Well, she didn't move fast enough and when I told him she had a hearing problem, he stated "She hears what she wants to hear". My friend was very embarrassed and upset. We did speak to an officer who said he would deal with the problem, but this was not a good way to start a cruise.

To sum up, even with some problems, we enjoyed the cruise, the ports and each other. I will continue to prefer NCL as I love the free style dining and I must note, that NCL always responds to problems quickly and with a good attitude. I also must add, the care that NCL took with my 77 year old friend in embarking and disembarking was commendable.

If anyone reading this is thinking about an Alaskan cruise, do it!! It is memorable and NCL does it well. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 12013

Cabin 12013-Tiny, unmanageable for 4 people, or even two. More like a closet.

We took NCL excursion Tracey Arm Fjord and Glacier Excursion. This was such a spectacular experience I can't fully describe it. The catamaran is so well chosen for this excursion. We boarded 15 minutes before the Star left Juneau. We sailed to Tracey Arm, stopped at a waterfall so close we were almost under it, stopped to spot 6 whales and slowly headed for the Sawyer and South Sawyer Glaciers. The unworldly beauty of the area as more and more ice filled the water with so many different shades of blue. We were so close to South Sawyer Glacier that I was stunned. Arctic gulls filled the air and I knew I was seeing something so special. We stayed quite awhile and then boarded the Star, which was quite far from the glacier. Do not hesitate to take this excursion.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

This was the first stop in Alaska and everyone was so excited. We had an NCL excursion-Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles. We boarded a bus and headed a short way to the boat we boarded for a cruise. When the description says eagles, they are right on. So many of these very special birds!! They were all over. The captain was charming as well as Princess his husky who sailed with us. We sailed to Bight Park and though small, we did view the totems and long house from the water. The lighthouse was on an island and as we love lighthouses, interesting. A very good excursion for our introduction to Alaska. Oh, the salmon spread was wonderful.

The fact that NCL is not going to stop at Prince Rupert next year is a shame. The area is teaming with wildlife and wonderful friendly people. The stores in the town are all local so no phony chains one can find in the Caribbean. We did the Tsimean Kayak trip and loved every minute. Lots of paddling and then a warm fire on the beach to cook hot dogs and marshmallows and tear apart crabs. What an experience. We also had a First Nation guide who told us tribal stories as we sat around the fire. NCL-keep going to Prince Rupert!

Did bus ride to the Klondike. Small van with lots of room. Great driver/guide who stopped lots of times as we spotted Great Northern Mountain Goats, a Grouse and Eagles. Had lunch at Silver Lake Wilderness Lodge and what Pies!! Very good lunch and then on to Carcross. Tiny town on the way to Emerald Lake. The green colors of this lake were wonderful. Going up the Klondike, one of the great road trips, was very special.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews