Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by bsbcgirl: Allure: Western Caribbean 7/17-7/24

bsbcgirl
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Allure: Western Caribbean 7/17-7/24

Sail Date: July 2011

Allure: Western Route: 7/17-7/24

Two couples in mid to late 50's. Four of us are past cruisers with Royal (platinum). First time on Oasis class ship.

Precruise: the Ritz Carleton (my comments under Florida departures forum)

Check-in:Got to cruise terminal about 10:30 am: onboard about 11:00am. easiest check-in of any cruise.

Allure:What can I say about this ship that has not already been said? She is stunning and an engineering marvel.

Pros: Overall service in all aspects, MDR food very good for such a huge amount of people, Extra wide Royal Promenade, Boardwalk (personal favorite), Central Park, Rising Tide Bar, 4.5 pools (cannot really count solarium pool as a full pool), plenty of space on all the pool decks, Entertainment (especially Chicago and Aqua Theater Show), Solarium Bistro, Photo Identification/Folio

Cons: Extra small ocean view balcony cabins, insufficient sized Windjammer, no omelets/eggs to order in Windjammer, More insufficient sized Cafe Promenade, small and closed in fitness center (cannot take steam or sauna unless paid for in spa).

Ports: Labadee: We relaxed at Columbus Cove; the guys also rented jet skis. This is one of my favorite ports. Falmouth: A work in progress, but I like it. We took Royal's "Chukka Beach Break" excursion (comments in Jamaica forum from my Feb cruise). Cozumel: Took taxi to Paradise Beach and did a little shopping right at the pier.

Speciality Dining: Giovannis for dinner, Rita's for lunch. Rita's was good. We might possibly be the only folks who did not like the food at Giovannis. Was a big disappointment. Three of our meals were tasteless, and one was very salty.

Misc: Had late traditional seating for dinner at a table for 4, booked all of our shows, Giovannis, jet skis and Chukka Beach Break before the cruise, able to use the "luggage valet" program (Southwest)

Post Cruise: I booked online a sight seeing intercoastal cruise on the Carrie B Riverboat (1.5 hours long), since our flight did not leave until 3:15

Personal sailing issue: Whenever there is a very large group booked on any cruise, it sometimes takes away a little from the cruise experience. Our sailing had a very large group (I counted at least 24) of quinceanera celebrations that week. The friends and families of these beautiful young girls were often extremely loud, rude in the theater, and clearly did not control/keep track of their children (especially late at night). I have had quinceanera celebrations on past cruises (maybe 5 or 6 per cruise) that did not affect my cruise experience at all.

Personal Conclusions: I probably will not sail an Oasis class ship again, unless influenced by family or friends. We had a wonderful vacation and the ship is amazing, but I prefer the Voyager or Freedom class ships. I actually think that I will go over to Celebrity and try a Soltice class ship for my next cruise, just for a change of pace. I love Royal, but need a little change after seven consecutive cruises with them.

Happy to answer any specific questions (Did not photo or save any compasses) Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 7580