Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by traveller1499: NCL nice but money-hungry

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bermuda Cruises

NCL nice but money-hungry

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just returned from Bermuda on the Norwegian Gem. Husband, wife, two kids. It was nice but after a while the constant upsell became annoying.

When we asked for one glass of wine an entire bottle was recommended instead. The waiter said "it will save you money"...strange math there. The constant pressure to add a larger autogratuity for them was obvious.

I went for a massage, which was good but expensive, and the upsell after was relentless. Somehow spending hundreds more on lotions, gels and pills would "help me feel better"...maybe by thinning my wallet and relieving pressure on my back.

Most restaurants had cover charges. The two free restaurants were nice but they had the same menus all week. The buffet eggs were powered and tasteless.

The pools and recreation areas were definitely too small for all the crowds on the ship...forget about ever getting a choice seat.

Next time, I'll spent a little more initially (elsewhere) but enjoy myself more More later. NCL has perfected the art of separating you and your money. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>