“NCL nice but money-hungry”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

traveller1499 Norwegian Gem 3 NCL nice but money-hungry
traveller1499
Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I just returned from Bermuda on the Norwegian Gem. Husband, wife, two kids. It was nice but after a while the constant upsell became annoying.

When we asked for one glass of wine an entire bottle was recommended instead. The waiter said "it will save you money"...strange math there. The constant pressure to add a larger autogratuity for them was obvious.

I went for a massage, which was good but expensive, and the upsell after was relentless. Somehow spending hundreds more on lotions, gels and pills would "help me feel better"...maybe by thinning my wallet and relieving pressure on my back.

Most restaurants had cover charges. The two free restaurants were nice but they had the same menus all week. The buffet eggs were powered and tasteless.

The pools and recreation areas were definitely too small for all the crowds on the ship...forget about ever getting a choice seat.

Next time, I'll spent a little more initially (elsewhere) but enjoy myself more later. NCL has perfected the art of separating you and your money.

Norwegian Gem Cruises to Bermuda
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

We had a cabin with a balcony and it was nice, although there was too much clutter for such a small room. We opened up the space by moving most of it outside to the balcony. Great shower!
Published 08/16/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to Bermuda
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?