Statendam Cruise Review by Matotex: Disagreement with fellow Statendam cruisers.....

Matotex
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Statendam Alaska Cruises

Disagreement with fellow Statendam cruisers.....

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We are so happy and relieved that we did not rely on the multitude of reviews that were posted on Cruise Critic regarding Holland America and particularly the Statendam. As with anything else in life, it is usually the complainers who you hear from the most, while those of us who found the ship, staff, and itinerary wonderful never take the time to respond.

We just returned from a 7 day inside passage trip on the Statendam leaving from Vancouver and departing in Skagway. We are a couple in our mid fifties and did find that we were probably on the younger side of many passengers, however the age of other passengers had absolutely nothing to do with how much we enjoyed the trip! We found many friendly people wherever we went whether it be at dinner, or on the many wonderful excursions we did. I would say that if you are going on the trip to specifically meet others your same age then no, Holland America to Alaska is probably not the best ship to be on. In our case, we were More going to be with each other, experience the beauty of Alaska, and enjoy what we found to be a spectacular cruise....with each other!

I would completely disagree that there was no fun to be had. After being on other cruises both alone and with our children, I would perhaps agree that the nightlife after 11:00 is not hopping, but we still enjoyed the casino and dancing until much later each and every night. The Crows Nest (bar with dancing) would stay open basically until everyone left and the staff always were there to add to the fun. After returning, our only semi complaint was wishing that the entertainment on the first night had not been so "hokie", and that our fairly new cruise director was at times a little "over the top" trying too hard.

We found our cabin to be spacious, the staff completely friendly and responsive, and the ports/excursions just amazing. I do not hold Holland America responsible for my ability to have fun, and dont believe others should either!!

I hope that my review gives other's a more accurate picture of such a wonderful trip. Believe me......you will have fun if you want to!! We sure did. Less

Read more Statendam cruise reviews >>