Carnival Glory Cruise Review by goodcritic: Carnival Glory-8/8/11-8/13/11 t- St John and Halifax, Canada
Overall Member Rating
Carnival Glory-8/8/11-8/13/11 t- St John and Halifax, Canada
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Always appreciate when I go on this site to get reviews of cruises so hope the below cruise review sailing on Carnival Glory from New York to Canada helps someone: Just came back 8/13/11.
We love Carnival and would definitely sail again but there was a bit that was budgeted out which we are used to:
1) Halifax, Canada---fabulous---definitely go to Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia-Cruise leaves at 9:30 am (may be an afternoon cruise too)--one of the most scenic areas in the world--have ice cream at Dee Dee's -you won't be disappointed...homemade ice cream and waffle cone-choc. raspberry swirl amazing! Will have an hour to walk around. Gorgeous. Feels like you are in a Scottish fishing village of yesteryear. Canada has a lot of fog...our tour was an hour delayed but it did not detract from getting everything in. However, the cruise just prior to ours did not dock because of the fog...check the weather forecast each day. Then go into Halifax....hang out by More the waterfront. There is a Maritime Museum that is interesting as there are some relics of the Titanic. I would not do the cruise with the Titanic cemetery included as it is only a cemetery.
2) 24 hour pizza on the ship---delicious pizza!
3) Definitely see the "Love and Marriage" show ---a riot!...similar to the Newly wed Game
4) There were only 2 shows by the dancers/singers performed-Live America is the first one and is good but the Rock and Roll show needs to be updated. Also, as we are seasoned cruisers we recall shows just about every night. Carnival has downsized in this regard on the Carnival Glory. There were two comedians on board-the female was not funny. There is also one illusionist named Josh....get there early if this is your interest as the audience was packed during the early seating....We were disappointed but some other people enjoyed it...felt it was too risque and illusions were so-so.
5) Teen club is ages 15-17...our daughter found what to do but she would have preferred to be in on the activities. We tried to get her in but the cruise is strict about having anyone not in that age range. Our daughter was 19. They have a list of everyone's birth date in the teen club so don't try to sneak anyone in.
6) The staff and waitors are extremely friendly.
7) The food is fabulous....try the warm melting chocolate cake for dessert. All the food was great but unfortunately they don't offer steak anymore as they have a separate Emerald Steakhouse Restaurant where you have to pay to get a good steak.
8) Go to the cooking demonstration of the Emerald Steakhouse as they give you samples of everything they cook in front of you.
9) For dinner, you can get iced tea and lemonade free--all other drinks you must pay for.
10) Soda card-$25 for week (4.50 for kids) $30 for adults ($6 for adults a day)...Try to get the kid price --just pay for a card at any bar.
11) Rooms are spacious enough...we were on Deck 8...Deck 9 has the Lido buffets...Deck 3 is lobby
12) St John -do not take any tours...it is walkable and you can get a taxi to Reversing Falls right outside ship...shouldn't be more than $11 to and $11 back. Go to the Jewish Museum within walking distance...used to be a temple.
Nothing really else to see except some shops so don't waste your money with the overpriced tours offered on the ship. Halifax is the place to definitely get a tour as we did.
13) Rest assured, on the ship, there will be room for all and you won't feel crowded...our ship was fully booked and we always found a place to sit.
14) There will be free drinks for returning Carnival guests and free drinks on a sail away event the night before the cruise...make sure to ask as they don't list it on the activities.
1) They definitely need more activities on board believe it or not...only one day of the cruise did they have typical cruise activities that were chock full of fun.
2) There is no mid-night buffet
3) The chocolate buffet is quite limited...not like the old days
4) Slot machines---horrible...no one hardly wins.....limit your slot machine fun
5) Bingo-$20 for a game of 3....very expensive
6) Only 1 formal night on the 2nd day of the cruise
7) Internet Access is terrible---very slow
8) Elevators---very slow--two were broken on deck 8
9) Beware of weather---if it is foggy outside, they will cancel the day at port...the weather is always iffy going to Canada this time of year...also, it could be quite rainy in August. We lucked out and hope you do too.
Also, if you choose to see the Reversing Falls in ST John, check the tide times...one in morning and one in afternoon...don't go if you do not check the tide times...also, in Canada it is 1 hour ahead in time.
I would still return on this cruise but wanted to give an honest review so someone else knows in advance what we did not. Early dinner seating is at 6 pm. Less
Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Lots of fun...but ship has lot...
Great Lakes Adventure
Not a Real Gem of NCL
Joannie Madden cruise
Carnival Cruise a Great Succes...
THE GLORY IN ALL HER GLORY!!