Balmoral Cruise Review by Carolyn Davies

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Balmoral Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Balmoral Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Balmoral Deck Plans
The first cruise but definitely not the last!
We booked an 8 night cruise to the Norwegian Fjiords and I was really looking forward to it and my husband was going to "make the best of it" We found boarding at Southampton a relatively easy proceedure with care being taken to ensure that passengers did not all rush at once causing log jams. Our cabin was as expected a BA grade with balcony and had masses of storage room. The bathroom was a little dated but everything was spotlessly clean and well equipped.

We went to our first dinner on a shared table for 6 there was one man on his own so we were only 5 and luckily we all got on famously and are still in touch. The food was excellent throughout and the waiters wonderful we both only drink de-caf coffee and he never forgot to bring it for us. There was an excellent choice every day and we alternated the cafe for breakfast with the Spey dining room and having it in our cabin. How anyone could complain about the food on this ship is quite beyond me!

It was my birthday during the trip and we had booked the celebration package at £65 which included breakfast in the room of Lobster, champagne, fresh fruit a card and a present and in the evening we noticed there was a curry night in the Palms cafe and decided with our table mates to go there instead of the dining room and they insisted I should still have my cake which was brought along with guitars and singing waiters and candles. I visited the spa once and found it delightful it is necessary to book early as they are very popular. We intended to visit the gym and didn't but will next time as with all this wonderful food it is really necessary! Disembarking was also made easy and done in stages and I can't wait to go again. Highly recommended to those who want a cruise that has no gimmicks just good old fashioned service done with style.

Publication Date: 08/15/11