Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by ILOVEOSU: Awesome cruise!

ILOVEOSU
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Awesome cruise!

Sail Date: July 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

Our group included myself, my husband and two teenage children, my sister-in-law, and mother and father-in-law, who we convinced to join us the week before the cruise.

We drove from Columbus to New Orleans, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Superdome. The hotel was clean and offered a free shuttle to the french quarter and to the port, which was a big money saver. We stayed the night before the cruise. We spent a little time in the french quarter early before we headed off for the cruise.

Embarkation: Embarkation was a breeze, especially considering my mother-in-law and father-in-law had never cruised before, so they really didn't know what they were supposed to do. The staff helped us through the process and we were on the ship within 15 minutes. We also took 4 bottles of wine and were able to take care of our corkage fee quickly with no waiting.

Staterooms: Our staterooms were ready well before 2, as soon as we got on the ship, actually. We had 2 balcony More rooms (9200 and 11168) and one inside (9207). 9207 was a larger inside and was perfect for my too teens and sister-in-law. The balcony rooms were great. All the rooms were clean, and we had requested refrigerator's in advance to put our soda in. We also had generous stateroom credits from our travel agent, which were waiting in our rooms, along with our bottles of wine that the travel agent and cruise line had given us. Gerry, our room steward for 9200 and 9207, was great. He always said hello and joked around with the kids. My mother and father-in-law said they never actually saw theirs. Our rooms were always clean, and we had a towel animal each night, which is fun for the adults even.

Ship: The ship is beautiful and in good shape. The pool area is nice, but was a little small for as many people that use it. Also, it says that the pool is for adults, but there really isn't a pool for teenage kids, so there were still a lot of kids using the pool (I'm not complaining, just an observation). If they're going to have an adults only pool, I think it would be nice to have one for kids to use, other than the one that's for 12 and under in the back of the ship.

Food: We were a little disappointed with the new menu in the main dining room; the dining room had the same menu every day for lunch, and there was only one night we had souffle on the menu. We mentioned this to one of the waiters, and they had creme brulee made for us on the last night, which was really nice of them. No escargot or some of the other more interesting things we've had on our other cruises. Otherwise, our meals in the main dining room were great.

We tried the buffet for breakfast and lunch, and it wasn't bad. My mother and father-in-law loved the buffet...they went every morning. We prefer to eat in the Windows dining room, though. We did love the soft serve ice cream in the buffet, though!

My one complaint for the whole cruise was the service in the Blue Lagoon. It was downright terrible. We tried it multiple times, each time thinking the previous had been some kind of fluke. One afternoon, we waited for about an hour for our food, and they still forgot many items we ordered. At some point, we gave up on some of the items and just ate what they did bring. They didn't bring our water or tea, we had to ask several times for napkins and silverware, and it was always really crowded. The waiters well not apologetic at all. I did complain to management, and they were apologetic(mostly saying I must have bad luck, though) but nothing really changed. The disappointing thing really was that the food in the Blue Lagoon was pretty good (especially for my teens), but we didn't really want to deal with the service there.

We went to the chocolate buffet...it was really interesting to see so much chocolate at one time! My only complaint was that it wasn't really enough time...everyone rushes to get it line at once...the line was up the stairs and all the way to the atrium when we got there.

Casino: No luck in the casino for us. I did find it to be a little too smokey for me at times, but we went to the gaming lesson and found that to be interesting.

Entertainment: Overall, the entertainment was great. Second City was really good and we loved the Elements show. The magician's show was a little cheesy. We went to the Burlesque show, and my 17 year old daughter, sister in law (25) and mother and father in law went to the white hot party and some of the others and had a blast.

Overall, great vacation. Lots of fun, lots of relaxing, things for everyone to do. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 9200

9200- great cabin, but there was some noise from the kids club above. 9207- terrific inside for families. 11168- good location, good view

Did the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins tour through the cruise line. It was great...our tour guides were very informative and funny. We climbed a couple of the ruins, bought a few souvenirs, and tried the cashew wine (a must!). When we got back to the port area, we did a little shopping and had a couple of Belikins...also a must. It was a really hot and sunny day, but Belize is really beautiful. I would definitely recommend the ruins tour. Our group ranged from 15 to 60, and we were all able to climb the ruins.

Went to the Tropicante. It was terrific! The water was clear and the food and drink were good and inexpensive. Steve was great. We were able to call home for free using his phone at the Tropicante. My kids and sister-in-law got massages for $25 for a hour, and my mother-in-law got to do a little shopping in the town.

Probably my mother-in-laws favorite port! She loves shopping, so we spent a lot of time walking to the shops in Cozumel. My son bought a giant sombrero, not thinking about how we'd fit that in my mini-van with 7 people and all of our luggage on the way back to Ohio! After shopping, most of the group went to Paradise Beach. $30 each way for 6 of us. The pool are is nice, but the beach is just so-so. There are so many water toys, and it's so rocky, there's not a lot of room to just float or swim around. Everyone still had a good time, though, and their chips and salsa are really good.

Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

(5.5)
Took a cab to West Bay beach. When we got into port, we walked around and asked several people how much for 7 to go to West Bay and back. Most places started at $25, then we talked them down to $15 round trip...we finally found a person that agreed to $10 each round trip. The included a tour guide(not really a tour guide...all she did was tell us about a family from Tennessee that tried to buy her kids or something). They waited for us at the beach and we paid on our return. We went to Bananarama...the food and drinks were good, and the restaurant area is shaded. We walked a few ,minutes down the beach to Infinity and snorkeled there...it was AMAZING! The water is clear and there were tons of fish. My husband also said he saw a sting ray. It was a fun trip for all.

Read 1646 Roatan Reviews