Black Watch Cruise Review by the english aldy

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Dover
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: BS
See More About: Black Watch Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Black Watch Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Black Watch Deck Plans
Baltics with Fred
Cruise to the Baltics of Fred Olsen Black Watch

We had first travelled on this ship a few years ago, and like returning to a comfy cardie we were back.

This time we had booked a balcony suite. If you are thinking of booking one, book the one we went for 9902. The actual cabin is the same size as the other balcony suites but you also get a 2nd bedroom. This meant hubby had the 2 wardrobes in there and I had 3 double wardrobes for my clothes-me over pack-never!! Next to the lifts but we never ever heard a thing. In fact it is one of the quietest cabins we have ever had.

Unbelievably we had the same table for 2 that we had the first time we had cruised on BW 5 years ago. Food was very good. Soups always delicious. Some of the courses were missing something -I had a mushroom volavont one evening and you had that a couple of sliced veg and that was it-no potatoes/rice of any sort. I felt that for a main course it was a little lacking. After that I learnt to have a soup and salad course-happy then.

The cruise was eventful for different reasons-we had a total power cut just prior to the Kiel Canal, amazing reason why it happened, but it meant that we were 4-5 hours late for Copenhagen. Instead of late am/early pm arrival there, we arrived at 5pm. Everything worked ok after that with wonderful weather. Captain nearly got arrested for setting of the alarms at the Hermitage 3 times..I do have to say though even for that he was one of the best Captains we have ever had. A real people person. On the last captains cocktail party we learnt we had consumed 17,500 eggs during the cruise, which was pretty good going as they only had one chicken on board.

Came back via the Skagerrak channel. (over the top of Denmark) As per the captains prediction at 2am we hit the North Sea and a force 8-bit like a washing machine-husband slept through it somehow. Things quietened down later in the day though.

Entertainment -only made it to one evening show. However there was a harpist on board and her concerts were lovely. I think we only missed one of them.

Things I was not overjoyed about.......

I think the room stewardesses must have been cut down, so the ones who are left have to do more cabins. Ours was very good, and she alternated ends so sometime we were first and sometimes last-but when we were last it could be up to 2pm before our room was done,

The bathroom had windows into the cabin. A design statement I guess ,(they had blinds so you could not see in) however if I needed the bathroom in the night ,and put the light on-it woke husband up as the light shone through the blinds..

The bathtub is very small. I am only short, but after attempting 2 baths in it-I gave up and stuck to shower.

We have ticked the Baltics now.

Publication Date: 08/14/11