Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Dendenz1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by Dendenz1
Splendour of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas
Member Name: Dendenz1
Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: FO
See More About: Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
        7-9 1.0
        10-12 1.0

Ship Facts: Splendour of the Seas Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Splendour of the Seas Deck Plans
Splendour not quite splendid!
Just come off an 11 night west med cruise on Splendour of the seas. We booked RCCL as so many friends recommended them and route really appealed to us.

On arrival ( ordered taxi from San marco airport to dock for 44euro) very easy check in and cabin ready much earlier than anticipated.HOWEVER...... We booked a large family outside stateroom for us two and our kids aged 7&10. The cabin was the same size as my parents cabin for two people, and the major shock was the pulldown bunks ABOvE the double bed! My husband couldn't sit up in the bed with the bunk down and you had to slide in and out the foot of the bed like a worm! We complained bitterly and were told our expectations were too high, it was our travel agents fault ( btw Thomas Cook were absolutely useless in the whole booking but that's another story) , there was no other available cabins and no one else complained.

The only thing we could do, which we took upon ourselves to do was to re jig the room, turned the double bed around and put one bunk mattress on the floor. We had even less space in the already bijoux cabin.

The cabin attendant was nigh on useless, only 3 "towel animals" out of 11 nights, two of those after bitterly complaining. Our toilet broke 10 out of 11 nights and outside our cabin was a constant sewage smell.

Pursers desk were absolutely useless. Didn't know answers to what you asked, and often guessed incorrectly giving false information.

The entertainment was disappointing, no real "big shows" and what there was seemed to dry up by 10 pm with only piano music or an empty game show/quiz afterwards.

Some very big plus points though.....

The food was AMAZING ! Ate on my time dining every night, table 169 where Dorin and Fernando were the two nicest people you could wish to meet. They bent over backwards. And a big round of applause to Hans the head waiter who balanced the dining room with precision, and Constantine the maitre d who knew everyone by name.

The shopping area was also great, although often overpriced but run by the lovely Karen who put big smiles on our faces .

Kids club very good, although surprised to see different age groups had same activities. My son adored it in there and we couldn't pride him away!

The only thing that was silly was the timings, you had to get kids at 10 pm bu show finished at 10, or just after, so you had to leave a grew minutes early to get upstairs in time.

Some other timings of restaurant hours was a bit odd too. Breakfast in king and I finished at 8.30 am, I was just waking up - I was on holiday after all ! And you couldn't get buffet dinner until 7pm, but kids club started again at 7 so couldn't feed kids before hand unless you chose burger or pizza from solarium - didn't pay good money for 11 nights of junk food.

Entertainment staff were very good with guests and Abel was brilliant.

On the whole it was nice, but as advised by the chief purser our expectation was too high......hmmm thought that's why we booked royal carribbean!

Wish we had known about cabin layout in advance we would have booked a balcony room or suite, an missed the odd touches here and there, I.e chocolates on pillows and fancy towels.

I agree with other reviews about prices of drinks on board and transfers, very very expensive and often quite cheeky. Do trips yourself, just as easy and a tenth of the price.

I'd go with Royal Caribbean again, but in a higher grade room and with my eyes wide open.

Publication Date: 08/13/11
Read the Western Mediterranean ports review by Dendenz1
More Splendour of the Seas Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Splendour of the Seas review Read the next Splendour of the Seas review

More Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews