Grand Princess Cruise Review by Dafydd2

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: K
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Cruising below expectations
I found the standard of this ship to be very good with a wide range of facilities and a fairly good standard of maintenance. Food was generally very good and the general standard of service was quite good but there was definitely not the feeling of being made welcome that we have experienced on some other cruise lines.

Bar service was very slow in the entertainment lounges though this did improve a little toward the end of the cruise. All inclusive was not available but we did purchase a soft drinks package, unfortunately a number of the waiters seemed to be unaware of it's existence and i became a little tired of explaining it to them.

The promenade deck is actually on two levels so in order to do a circuit of the ship stairs had to be climbed. The front section was closed off at night so no circuit was possible.

Life boat drill was gathering everybody in the theatre area. This did not seem like a good idea to me in a real emergency as there are only limited exits, I would rather muster on deck.

My two main complaints would be pricing of excursions which I found to be rather high, Photograph pricing and the fact that the mattresses were very hard making it difficult to get a good nights sleep. Also for some reason our steward decided we didn't need our life jackets for the last night of the trip.

we purchase five photographs as we were told we would recieive a free book into which we could enter our own photos on line when we got home. Twently five dollars was then added to our bill without our being told, when I asked I was told that this was for postage - seems a lot for a free item.

Entertainment in the main theatre was of the poorest standard that I have ever encountered. There seemed to be very few shows. What we did get was three different singer/comedians across four consecutive nights who all told the same jokes. It's a pity because the standard of the on board theatre facilities is truly excellent but not used to its potential.

Throughout the cruise I found information about almost anything to be a little scarce and we didn't get our final account until very late on the final night. We were disembarking at 7.15am so would have had little time to check for errors.

We chose express disembarkation with our own bags as we had travelled by car and did not want to wait around for porters. However everybody going ashore was squeezed in to one dining room which led to frustrating scrummaging to get off when we were finally permitted.

Publication Date: 08/12/11