Grand Princess Cruise Review by Dafydd2: Cruising below expectations

Cruising below expectations

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

I found the standard of this ship to be very good with a wide range of facilities and a fairly good standard of maintenance. Food was generally very good and the general standard of service was quite good but there was definitely not the feeling of being made welcome that we have experienced on some other cruise lines.

Bar service was very slow in the entertainment lounges though this did improve a little toward the end of the cruise. All inclusive was not available but we did purchase a soft drinks package, unfortunately a number of the waiters seemed to be unaware of it's existence and i became a little tired of explaining it to them.

The promenade deck is actually on two levels so in order to do a circuit of the ship stairs had to be climbed. The front section was closed off at night so no circuit was possible.

Life boat drill was gathering everybody in the theatre area. This did not seem like a good idea to me in a real emergency as there are only More limited exits, I would rather muster on deck.

My two main complaints would be pricing of excursions which I found to be rather high, Photograph pricing and the fact that the mattresses were very hard making it difficult to get a good nights sleep. Also for some reason our steward decided we didn't need our life jackets for the last night of the trip. we purchase five photographs as we were told we would recieive a free book into which we could enter our own photos on line when we got home. Twently five dollars was then added to our bill without our being told, when I asked I was told that this was for postage - seems a lot for a free item.

Entertainment in the main theatre was of the poorest standard that I have ever encountered. There seemed to be very few shows. What we did get was three different singer/comedians across four consecutive nights who all told the same jokes. It's a pity because the standard of the on board theatre facilities is truly excellent but not used to its potential.

Throughout the cruise I found information about almost anything to be a little scarce and we didn't get our final account until very late on the final night. We were disembarking at 7.15am so would have had little time to check for errors.

We chose express disembarkation with our own bags as we had travelled by car and did not want to wait around for porters. However everybody going ashore was squeezed in to one dining room which led to frustrating scrummaging to get off when we were finally permitted. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Interior Double Sun Deck

Four berth cabin with three of us in it felt very crowded. Not enough storage space. Good TV with good range of channels showing modern films but majority were a little violent. Uncomfortable beds.

excellent - Port is right in the city at the bottom of the Ramblas but this time we berthed a long way out so as we know the city used local taxix from ship to various points around city, again more economic than using ships tours

Nice old French colonial town feel to Ajaccio. Locals seemed very friendly apart from one restaurant owner who seemed upset by the fact that we only wanted drinks and weren't eating. We easily walked in to town and past the beach

excellent - Used a locally guided tour of the Island - Did more than the Princess official tour for less money. Enjoyed the local pubs and the best of both worlds feel of Gibraltar.

Not my favourite Port of call. We took an expensive open top bus. We were told that we could get on and off as we pleased but once we got off could never get back on as all buses were full. Driver did make room for somebody who had not yet bought a ticket though and relieved him of his Euros. Another passenger told me he had seen the same thing.

Royal palace is well worth a visit and almost everything worth seeing is within walking distance of the port. If you have walking difficulties I would suggest using a taxi. I spoke to someone that had rented one of the electric golf buggy type cars by the quayside and apparently though he could get everywhere he couldn't park.

Read 192 Monaco Reviews

we had seen most of what we would find interesting in this area so walked in to town. It was a Sunday and very quiet.

Read 647 Naples Reviews

Best way in to Rome from Port is by train. I bought a return ticket which included Rome buses for 9 Euros. Train was clean, fast and comfortable. We easily managed to go into St Peters basilica, The vatican museum and Sistine chapel and a quick taxi tour seeing the Colosseum and various other landmarks.