Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Banks822: 1st time family cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

1st time family cruise

Sail Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Charleston

This was the 1st cruise for me and my hubby and our 4 children, but everyone else that came with us was on their 2ND Carnival cruise. Even though the Fantasy is pretty old it was VERY clean and well kept. All the staff was so friendly and helpful. Victor was our room steward and he was awesome!! He brought us whatever we needed with-in minutes of us asking and every night after dinner our beds were ready for us. Also our 3 servers in the dining room were wonderful. Every night when they did a little dance they would get my children up to dance with them. My children LOVED it! Plus the food was yummy, especially the molten chocolate cake!!

We unfortunately booked our cruise during college spring break. My children are 8,9,9,and 10 and they saw and heard things that I never wanted them to be around! I have never heard females with such NASTY language...I was embarrassed for them. I am only 29 and am no stick in the mud, but I just don't see the point in spending all that money More to be drunk and hungover the whole trip. People were drunk and stumbling around all hours of the day. My children never got to go to the pool because of all the drunks. One night a group of guys were drunk and threw a glass of liquor down the hall which hit or door and shattered everywhere. By this time I was fed up (this was not our 1st drunken disturbance) so I opened the door and told them to clean the mess up and that I understand they want to have fun, but there were children on that hall also. I woke up to a page long apology letter under my door. The front desk wouldn't do anything so I just handled it myself. The next night they were much calmer. I have to say that Camp Carnival was wonderful! My children LOVED it and the teachers in the room. They made crafts, went to shows, had a break dancing lesson, and had their own dance in the disco room one night. They never wanted to leave the camp!!

I have a son with a severe allergy and they were very cautious. Also one night I had a child get a little sea sick and they called me right away to let me know. Even though I had to go get her, the other 3 children got to stay and play.

We did have a situation where my daughters purse was taken by another child and her money was stolen, but that is our fault for letting her carry it. She did learn a good lesson about keeping up with her stuff after that though.

The entertainment on the ship was actually good. The last night there was a great Beatles themed show with good dancing and costumes. Also we went to 2 comedy shows and they were both funny. We passed on the karaoke because they showed it on the TVs and it didn't sound to great. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Main

Our room was an ocean-view room. We did have 4 people in our room so it was a little tight, but Victor came in every morning and put the kids beds away for us. That gave us more walking space and room to get dressed. The bathrooms were pretty good sized and we did have closet space. The only problem we had was finding space for our suitcases after we unpacked them.

Freeport had a beautiful beach with pretty white sand, but there was nothing really to do. My children were still tired from Nassau so decided they wanted to stay at Camp Carnival on this day. My husband and I caught a taxi for $4.00 each to the beach and market. The Market in Freeport was nicer and cleaner then the one in Nassau, but the people did not bargain as good here. After we picked up a few things we got ourselves a drink in a coconut that was pretty good and walked across the street to the beach. The water was kinda cold so we just put our feet in and filled a plastic bag with sand like our children requested. Even though the water was cold the sun was bright and this little beach was full. If you booked an excursion it may be more fun, but we enjoyed just hanging out at the beach, sipping a drink, and relaxing for a little bit.

Read 775 Freeport Reviews

This was probably our favorite port. We didn't book an excursion here either. Instead we got off the ship with a map and asked a local where the best places to go were. He was very friendly and gave us exact direction to several places which we walked to. Since my children were with us we wanted some of the trip to be educational. We 1st walked to the oldest house in Key West and were given a free tour of the house and grounds. It was actually really nice. Then we walked to the Hemingway House and next to a museum that was near the beach and was free also. My children loved this place and the local was so right about sending us there. You do have to pay a few dollars to get onto the beach, but by time we got there we noticed a storm coming so we started walking back to the ship. We got on just in time! We decided to eat a quick lunch of pizza and the deli, which is always great, and then my children wanted to go back to Camp Carnival. After the rain stopped my hubby and I did some shopping near the port in some really nice shops there.

Read 734 Key West Reviews

We really enjoyed Nassau. We got of the ship as soon as we ported and hit the Straw Market up for some bargain shopping. I have never been called "pretty girl" so much in my life! The only thing I didn't like was that they would ask my children if they wanted something which of course they always did, so I would have to say no and push them on through. I did however get a really nice Coach bag for $35.00! We also went to several jewelry stores that were having good sales and my hubby bought me a gorgeous ring for only $50 bucks. After this we got back on the ship and ate a quick lunch on the Lido deck. Most of the college students were at bars drinking so the ship was pretty empty, which meant no long line. After lunch we went on the Sea & See Tour excursion. It was a nice excursion if you have children. The tour driver was really nice and answered all questions while he drove us to the historical places in Nassau. The tour guide on the 1st boat was very funny and entertaining. He showed us all the houses on the island owned by people like Oprah and Nicholas Cage and made several jokes. Then on the submarine (glass bottom boat) we saw several different fish and even a huge sea turtle. My children loved this excursion and it was worth the money. After this we went back to the port to try and shop near the ship. The only problem was all the ladies trying to convince me to get my oldest daughters hair braided because she has really long hair. The next time she is wearing a hat!

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews