Carnival Glory Cruise Review by MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn
Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn
Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8D
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        16+ 5+

In the good old summer time, a good time on the Glory.
Cruise Critic

Review of Carnival Glory Cruise

NY to St. John, NB Canada

7/7/11 to 7/11/11

Deck 8D Balcony Room

This was the four night cruise from NYC to St. John, NB Canada. Today is Thu. 7/7/11. I called a cab. The driver picked us up at 11:30 a.m. The cab driver made very unpleasant conversation. I would not use this cab company again. We were happy to get to New York City, Pier 88 at 1:30. We carried on our luggage. We waited on a very long line to check in. The clerk was frazzled. We got our room keys and photos. We were on the Glory at 2:00. Our room was ready and we met our room steward. We called him Mr. B and he was great. The Cruise Critic meet and greet was at 3:30 but I did not go. At 3:30 we were having lunch. We had burritos and the Mongolian Wok for lunch. We also had ice cream. We purchased our soda cards. By 4:30 we had the safety drill. This went much better than last year. This time the passengers were quiet and listened to the instructions at the drill. We went back to our room on deck 8 aft to sit on the balcony and watch the sail away and the view of the Statue of Liberty and bridge. We went to the arcade and played air hockey and video games. We went to the Golden Dining room for dinner. We had anytime dining. It was the best. We could go there from 5:30 to 9:30. We ate at 8:00. We had flat iron steak for dinner. We met some nice people at dinner. After dinner I took my son to deck 5 to look at the teen club, called O2. When we got off the elevator there were a few teens to greet us and invite my son to join them. He said no right away and I said let's just follow them and take a look at the teen club. I signed him up to join the group. He said it was fine as long as it was a drop in group. The teen club kept my son busy the entire cruise. He enjoyed it so much, hanging out with other teens and socializing. He went every day. There were activities like making a t shirt, dance parties, Wi-games, and games from one in the afternoon until one in the morning. I highly recommend this to families. My son enjoyed this cruise. I did not go to the first show as I saw it last year and did not enjoy it. Last year I said that the Amber Palace is small. It is not small, there are plenty of seats. The Amber Palace is beautiful. I went to the Superstar Live Karaoke and enjoyed this. Last year on this ship Karaoke was a small event that took place outside of the casino. This year it is a big event. I went to the White Heat Disco and enjoyed the DJ and music very much. At midnight I went to the Red Sail for coffee and desert. My son ordered room service; he ordered a turkey sandwich and salad. Room Service is a small menu.

Friday 7/8/11

I slept very well last night. I guess the sea sick patch that I got from the Dr. worked. My son slept until noon. I went to the Red Sail Buffet for breakfast. I strongly recommend you try the buffet for breakfast. After breakfast I went to the casino and there was a coin machine so I got coins to do laundry. I took my son to the Platinum Dining room for lunch. We met two nice ladies from Long Island that are on Cruise Critic. We had the vegetable Fajitas. It was very good. I had the cold avocado soup. My son had the pepper pot soup and liked it. After lunch my son went to the teen club. I went to the Emerald Steak House for the cooking demo. It was great. They give you free samples and the food is very good. I went outside by the pool. It was very foggy. I went to the ice carving demo. It was cold and windy outside. Last year I wrote that the music by the pool was DJ music. This year I noticed that the music by the pool was a live band. Very nice. I went to the Motown Guess the song trivia contest and then to the gift shop for the raffle. Tonight was photo dress up night. I took photos. My son did not want to take photos. We went to dinner. I had the prime rib and my son had the flat iron steak. The prime rib was so good. I went to the family friendly comedy show. I didn't think it was funny. My son went to the teen club for the night. I went to the show "Living In America". It was a good show. I saw this last year. I went to the White Heat Disco. It was packed. We all danced. It was the 70's and 80's dance party. I went to the Red Sail for coffee and desert.

Sat. 7/9/11

I slept 8 hours. The patch is working or the seas were calm. I woke up and looked at the balcony and we were in Canada. It was cold and misty rain. A tip for you, always bring sweat pants and a sweat shirt to sleep in if you are going to Canada. I went to the breakfast buffet. It was great. I got off the ship. There was a tent for us to purchase items and browse. I walked to Market Square. I found a mall with food court, The New Brunswick Museum and the Library. I walked back to the ship. When the rain let up we went off the ship and walked to The New Brunswick Museum. We ate first. My son had a chicken salad at the Montreal Deli and an A & W Root beer float. I had a coffee at Tim Horton's. The coffee was so good. We went to the New Brunswick Museum. We enjoyed the three floors of art, history, and science exhibits. We saw whale, moose, birds, wolf, ships, art, and military exhibits. This is a beautiful museum. The people at the desk and tour guide were very nice to us. We were sorry that we did not have more time to spend at the museum. If you take this cruise, visit the New Brunswick Museum. It is very teen friendly. We went back on the ship. We enjoyed Canada this time very much. I think I liked Canada better this year. Later that day, we went to the Red Sail Buffet. I went to the photo shop to purchase photos. That night at the Golden, we had flat iron steak. The waiters danced for us. Our waiter was in the show. We went to the Minute To Win It game show. We went to the Gender Wars Game. People were asked to go on stage and put a quarter between their rear ends and drop the quarter into a glass. Does corporate know about this game? Why didn't we have a new Vegas type show tonight? Why not Justin Illusion? I saw his show last year on the 5 night cruise. He is great. I purchased a disco mirror ball drink. My son went to the teen club. I went to the disappointing Mardi Gras party. I was shocked to see grown people shove and push each other to get 20 cent beads. I just watched them. I went to the midnight Mexican buffet. It looked like a nice spread. I went to the White Heat Disco to dance to the Michael Jackson Tribute music. The disco was packed; we all enjoyed the music and dancing.

Sun. 7/10/11

This morning I went to the Red Sail breakfast Buffet. Then we went to the towel animal folding demo. It was nice. I went to the photo shop to purchase photos. I went to the geography trivia game. This was hard. It was time for the chocolate buffet. I had a swan and a piece of chocolate cheese cake. It was a nice spread. We went to the Platinum for lunch. I went to the 3:30 watch sale in the gift shop. There was a lot of pushing and shoving for no reason to have the opportunity to buy a $19.99 set. I wore the set when I got home one time and it tarnished. I went to the farewell party. It was great. This is the party with the free drinks. We went to the Golden for dinner. I had the fried chicken and mashed potatoes. My son had the veal cutlet and loved it. The show tonight was the best one called "Just Rock". Do not miss this. My son went to this show with the teen group and they enjoyed it. I went to the Red Sail for coffee and desert. I went to the Karaoke show. I went to the adult comedy show and I liked it. Jim McCue was very funny.

Monday 7/11/11

I slept very well. We are in NYC. I had breakfast at the Red Sail Buffet. It was sad to say good bye to the ship and the vacation was over. It was easy to get off the ship.

Comments and tips:

Our cruise director was Josh. He introduced himself to us and told us the captain has 35 plus years experience. The assistant cruise directors were nice.

Mr. B. our room steward five plus stars, he kept our room clean twice a day, left a towel animal, chocolates and Carnival Capers for us every night. I tipped him extra. We had a nice balcony room. It was just like the room we had last year. We liked being on deck 8 aft because we were one floor away from the Red Sail buffet and the pool. We were near the self service laundry. If you want to go from aft to fwd you have to to to deck 5 and walk.

I tipped our dancing waiter extra. I tipped Maria, our waitress extra. They were great.

The 02 Teen Club-A life saver. They made my son very happy. When he is happy, I am happy. He ate two meals a day with me and the rest of the time he spent with his new friends.

I did not go to tea time on this on this cruise. I did not want to over eat.

I enjoyed the chocolate buffet at noon. I also liked the midnight Mexican buffet. I really liked having desert at the Red Sail each night at midnight. I had coffee and cookies or cake. The soda cards are a good deal.

This year I was able to go to all of the late night events as my son was in club O2. I went to the White Heat Disco every night and enjoyed it. I enjoyed all of the night life on this ship.

I would recommend this cruise again. It is good for families. I had a great time and would take a Carnival Cruise again.

Publication Date: 08/12/11