Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Peter Trevett: Fine ship poor food

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Fine ship poor food

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

On the spur of the moment I decided to treat myself to a leisurely crossing of the Atlantic on Queen Mary 2, flying to New York and immediately joining the ship for the crossing.

My first impression on boarding QM2 was good and this was reinforced when I went to my cabin, or as all cruise ships pretentiously say stateroom. This was a good size with a large sheltered balcony. The balcony can best be described as having a large hole cut in the in the hull of the ship, but nevertheless it was a balcony on a deck as low as four.

The ship offers a superb range of public rooms, including a theatre and a cinema/planetarium a feature I think unique to QM2. Here ends the good features as on eating my first dinner in the Britannia Dining room I was disappointed, this I put down to an aberration. However, for the rest of the voyage the food in the Britannia did not improve, indeed, if anything it was sometimes worse. On Gala night it was crowned with duck that was so tough that More it must have flown itself from the UK to New York before falling to the deck dead. For lunch I found that the Pub served a good typical English pub menu, which I usually chose in preference to the Britannia. Breakfast I took in the Kings Court, which was no better or worse than most cruise ship buffet breakfast's. On a bright note I did enjoy tea In the Queens Room, which had the nostalgia of the original Queens. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>