Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by GreenHornet1: Mixed review

Mixed review

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Baltimore

I liked the ship. It's much nicer than the Grandeur of the Seas, its former sister ship before the Enchantment was "stretched" to make it longer. The pool deck is huge and spacious. And the addition of the Boleros lounge and the Chops Grille distinguish this from the Grandeur.

I did not eat in the dining room but had all of my meals in the Windjammer Cafe. I'm not generally critical of food, but I was disappointed with the food in the Windjammer. Lots of overcooked or dried out food, much of it apparently being left over from previous days. I all fairness though, the food in the Windjammer on other Royal Caribbean ships is not much better.

Most of the cruisers on this sailing were probably age 60 and over. So the entertainment and activities were geared towards that age range. Being in my 40s, I was bored to death. I went to the Viking Crown nightclub on several nights and it was always empty or nearly empty. Boleros lounge was a little better, but even that lounge More shut down early on most nights. I was told by a crew member that the Canadian sailings draw an older demographic so the programming is modified to appeal to that group. That was unfortunate for me. On the other hand, the Caribbean sailings draw a younger and more diverse crowd so the programming is different, I was told.

On the bright side, I enjoyed the ports, for the most part. My favorites were Bar Harbor and Halifax. St. John (New Brunswick) was a disappointment.

I would sail on this ship again, but only on the Caribbean sailings. Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Enchantment of the Seas Review >>

I enjoyed this port very much. I did an excursion called the "Maine Lobster Experience" where we went out on a lobster boat to learn about the lobstering business. It was very interesting. The tour guide was quite knowledgeable and very engaging. After the tour, I had a lobster lunch, then walked around the port, where there are lots of shops and eateries. I would definitely visit this port again (via car) so I can spend more time here.

I did an excursion here called "Top 10 Best of Halifax". This is an all-day tour (7+ hours). The tour guide was very good and very knowledgeable. While the excursion was somewhat exhausting, it does give you a glimpse of many of the sites in and around Halifax. One that was quite interesting is the cemetery we visited where many of the victims of the Titanic disaster were buried. We also visited a small gift shop that sold maple products, but I had to question how a gift shop qualified to be a "top 10" attraction in Halifax. The tour guide stated that the cruise line selected this shop to be included in the tour, which makes me wonder whether they are getting a kickback from the shop. But that's another discussion.

I enjoyed Halifax and found it interesting.

Read 349 Halifax Reviews

I did an excursion called the "Wild Blueberry Tour and Tasting" and was disappointed. The description of the excursion states that you will visit a local blueberry farm (Granite Town Farms) and meet the farmers. We did meet farmers (at the gift shop), but never actually visited any farm. They transport you on a bus, nearly an hour each way. During the bus ride, they show you a video about blueberry farming. Then they take you to a gift shop that sells blueberry products made by the company. They do some demonstrations about how blueberries are harvested, but we never actually visited any farm. I asked one of the representatives where the farm was and they said it was located "a mile away" from the gift shop. So if you go on this excursion expecting to visit an actual blueberry farm, you will be disappointed. The gift shop sells lots of blueberry products (jam, jelly, syrup, etc.) but you can buy these same products at their other store (located downtown, walking distance from the pier) and save the $62 they charge you for this tour. Shame on Royal Caribbean for calling this a "shore excursion".