Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Destinhousewife

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Destinhousewife
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: Destinhousewife
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: FO
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        3-6 5+
        7-9 5+
        10-12 5+

What a great family vacation!
This cruise was awesome - we all left thinking about what cruise we were going to go on next! Our cabin was a "Family Oceanview Stateroom" (#3032). We were pleased with the size, but it definitely was in need for a long overdue update. The rest of the ship seemed to be updated pretty well except for the cabins. The food was some of the best we've had on a cruise - lots of variety and very well prepared. In the morning, we dined at the buffet which was really good - lots of variety & tasty. For lunch, we either went to the buffet or formal dining room. I love formal dining! We had dinner in the formal dining room every evening, which was excellent. The service staff (waiters, cabin steward, etc.) were very friendly & fun. My boys came to two of the comedy shows & still talk about them :) The broadway shows were not great. My 5 and 11 year old boys enjoyed the kids program, and even asked to go several times! My 8 year old son was not impressed, but 2 out of 3 is pretty good. There is a provision that you can choose to "allow" them to check in & check out which is nice for older children if they are responsible.

The rock climbing was fun, the health seminars interesting, and the gym had the best view you'll ever see (front of the ship) - while you're running on the treadmill you're facing glaciers. Awesome. The pizza was great, as was the ice cream machine that was practically open all day.

The only bad thing I have to mention is that the first day at sea was EXTREMELY rough. Over half the people were sick, as were half of my family and it happened to be the first formal night. I think this is a normal occurence and they should change formal night to another night as they drive very fast through the channel and know it is going to be rough. Annoying. So plan to take your formal pictures on the last formal night.

One other item to note, although you are in ALASKA, the "fresh salmon" on the menu is NOT fresh and not from Alaska. It is previously frozen & farm-raised. Ick. That was very disappointing. You would think they could arrange a pickup while in several of the ports.

Overall, it is an awesome cruise and I highly recommend. I think we got a pretty good deal (@$4,200 for 2 adults and 3 children).

Publication Date: 08/08/11