Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by maggrizz: Surpassed our expectations

Surpassed our expectations

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

This being our first ever cruise I was very apprehensive having read previous cruisers negative comments. I shouldn't have worried,this was the most wonderful holiday we have ever had, despite my husband being 'cabin bound' for 4 days due to a prolapsed disc (more about that later).

We arrived at Southampton at 11.45am and were very impressed by the efficient way our car and luggage were taken from us. By 12.10pm we were in our cabin, unpacking. We were in a Queens Grill Penthouse Q4 (having been upgraded by our sons and brother from Britannia Club). We were amazed at the amount of storage space, a lot of which we never managed to fill!!

Our Butler Natalia and her deputy Ronald were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

The food in the Queens Grill was excellent and the waiters and sommelier looked after us very well.

During the evening of our third day my husbands back became painful so we decided to fore-go our Roof of Norway tour the More next day(Monday) and that he would stay in bed to rest. Therefore we ate in our stateroom, being able to order whatever was on offer in the Queens Grill that day.

Unfortunately the back worsened and at 6.30am on the Tuesday I had to call in the medical team who diagnosed a prolapsed disc. They were absolutely brilliant- Dr Alan Ward and nurses Ellie and Selina looked after him so well that he was up and walking...very carefully...on Thursday. He could not have been treated better anywhere ashore and we can't praise the medical staff enough.

Natalia our Butler really looked after us throughout this difficult time.

We cancelled the rest of our planned tours on the doctors advice and were reimbursed for all of them.

When we returned to the Queens Grill for our meals we were really made a fuss of and looked after so well.

Although this spoilt my husbands enjoyment a little we were just happy to spend the time soaking up the atmosphere and wonderful surroundings and wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I have never wanted to go on a cruise but my husband always has and I gave in eventually. I'm so pleased I did. I loved it and really hope we are fortunate enough to cruise on Queen Elizabeth again (free of back trouble!!).

I certainly wouldn't want to cruise with any other line than Cunard. Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Penthouse Deck 7 7050

Most comfortable bed we've ever slept in, Great bathroom and separate shower, separate toilet and washbasins. Great amount of storage space, much more than I expected. Very quiet hallway and no noise from other cabins. Extremely impressed.

We decided to do the Walking tour of Bergen. Our guide Anna was very pleasant and knowledgeable.The tour included a trip on the finicular railway to the top of the Floyen mountain. Although the queues for the were long (we were warned in advance) it wa well worth it for the beautiful views. Unfortnately this was our only trip due to my husbands back injury.

Read 174 Bergen Reviews