Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Margy23: 2nd Cruise on Freedom - Ready to Go Again!

Margy23
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

2nd Cruise on Freedom - Ready to Go Again!

Sail Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our second cruise on Freedom of the Seas, and we enjoyed every minute of it except the time I spent standing in line for new Sea Pass cards when mine wouldn't unlock our cabin door. Before the week was over, I had had five cards made (and my husband had had three made), but they still assured me there was nothing wrong with the lock - I was causing the problem by not keeping my Sea Pass away from my camera. I told them truthfully that I wasn't carrying a camera, but this just triggered superior "we know better" looks, not an investigation of the problem.

It would have been hard for this to be our best trip on Freedom, because last year's experience near perfection, but with the exception of the Guest Relations staff, every RCI employee went out of his/her way to give us excellent service. Our cabin steward was awesome, our waiter and assistant waiter were outstanding, and the man who takes care of the on-line area and library went way beyond my expectations in More taking care of the problem I experienced when Guest Relations didn't transfer my Diamond complimentary on-line minutes to Sea Pass No. 4 and I couldn't access the Internet.

As was true last year, the entertainment highlight for us was the ice show. If you're planning a cruise on an RCI ship with an ice show, be sure to get tickets as soon as they are available.

When we boarded and found no ice bucket in our cabin, we were concerned, but when we called to ask for one it was delivered immediately and filled with fresh ice twice a day. What a great way to accommodate ice users but save resources by not supplying ice to people who don't use it!

This was our 12th cruise on RCI and the first time I've submitted a review, but I felt the shortcomings of the Guest Relations personnel were important enough to share. I also discussed them on RCI's evaluation form and with my travel agent. I hope if enough people get this message to RCI management, they will realize the importance of the actions and attitudes of these potential good-will ambassadors.

In rating Dining, I reduced my rating to a 4, not because of service or quality of food but because I think they need to update their menus. I don't remember much change in the last few years. One item we missed on Freedom was the delicious leg of lamb we enjoyed on Radiance last year.

Our next cruise is on Jewel in November. I can hardly wait! Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6 8598

Our cabin was pleasant and comfortable with adequate storage. We did, as usual, ask for a lighter blanket. The comforters they use are just too heavy, not so much in warmth as in weight. We enjoyed our balcony except for the times when so much smoke was coming from balconies around us that we had to escape inside. As an ex-smoker I understand the predicament of smokers today and I don't know an equitable solution to this dilemma. Possibly they could have sections of the ship where people can smoke on balconies and other sections where they can't, but that might be a logistics nightmare for RCI.