Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by BobbyOrr

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by BobbyOrr
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: BobbyOrr
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: PR
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        10-12 5.0
        16+ 3.0

Excellent ports but hang on to your wallet
Left Southhampton after 3 marvelous days in London.

We had heard via cruisecritic that the ship was boarding late due to extra cleaning required. I think the port was overwhelmed with People as it a a bit chaotic but to be fare, we moved reasonable quickly. We had to give up our Passports as were not European Union citizens. What disappointed me was that the RCI staff could not tell us why. Next day did get a letter explaining so.

Biggest disappointment was our room as we found out that nite that we were over the pub. Complained about the music and moved the next day however it was down to the 2nd floor where we could hear the engine. This was the biggest disappointment though we did manage to get a $2000 future cruise certificate as a result.

I thought the food was good overall. No complaints. Only disappointment for me personally is that in Portofino's have stopped serving pasta with the meal. I probably will not go back.

Staff was excellent, no complaints. The ice shows are excellent. For the most part, the shows were good however I wish that there was less broadway tunes in the shows. Our cruise director (Josh) was excellent.

Ports were outstanding however we were the targets of pickpockets twice. Be aware in Spain. Barcelona and Lisbon were excellent and recommened highly to use private tours so you maximize your visit time.

Seas were fairly calm and the ships pool area was well used. It was fun to be in the pool with my kids. One of my 11 year old ( I have twins ) could not get enough of the kids clubs. My other 11 year old has tourettes so he did not go as often but enjoyed it when he went. One advice I did pick up from cruise critic was to ask for a deck phone as a result of my one son. They did let me use a phone for free which great for checking in on my son or getting back information. ALso handy to call other quest rooms as well.

I had read a lot of negatives about the ships service and guest behaviour. I did not find that at all. I was looking for it but the staff was excellent. As were the quests. Very polite and personable.

WOuld go on independence again.

Port:  Allicante.

Second encounter with a pickpocket.

Did not know at the time but a hop on/hop off bus really close to the pier. People selling tickets there as well.

Also very close is a really big beach.

Would visit again.