Sun Princess Cruise Review by Old_boy_2208: Tying Australian Princess Ship

Tying Australian Princess Ship

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

After 4 Princess Cruises out of Australia thought I better see how the Aussie ships rate and sitting here writing this review I feel a little underwhelmed by the experience.

What I liked -

1/ Vista Lounge was the best I have seen on any ship.

2/ The production show was 8 out of 10 and I really enjoyed and the entertainers seemed to enjoy themselves as well.

3/ As a regular Bingo player I was please to see the higher bingo prizes and the numbers being called at a faster pace. On the US ships you could have a bathroom break in between each number.

What I didn't like - Where do I start.

1/ Boarding. I know we joined at the end of a longer cruise but the service in Brisbane was terrible. After experiencing the 5 star service in Beijing in May this was a huge let down.

2/ Although confirmed for early dining and having linked with another couple we were placed on late dining and not linked. Thankfully the Maitre D' sorted this More out for us.

3/ We were booked for a interior double and were placed in a triple. Now very comfortable at all.

4/ We were given Blue cards on boarding and it took until after 8pm before we received out correct cards and were assured we then had internet minutes assigned. No internet minutes were assigned and it was just to much effort to get fixed. 5/ Prices on the ship are well above what you find on the US ships. The Ultimate Drink Card on the Diamond Princess in May was US$7 per day and on the Sun Princess was A$11 per day. On the Diamond we purchased a photo book with US$15 postage to Australia, on the Sun it was A$25 for the same postage. Everything was more expensive and given the current exchange rate it make it even worse. I won't start about the shop prices but it seems Princess want to rip off Australians!

6/ Dirty Ship. It may have just been the age of the ship or that Princess don't want to pay Australian Ports to do any servicing but again compared to the US ships this ship seemed dirty and poorly maintained.

Overall the ship is an aging design and Princess have sent it along with its Sister ships to the bottom of the world in the hope that these backward Australians won't know any better. They had better smarten up as the world is getting smaller and with other ships coming to Australia over the next 12 months many cruisers are going to forget loyalties and switch ships. Maybe Princess can sell the Sun to P&O Australia where they will still be considered "äs new" and look after their loyal Australian customers before they find out how much they are being ripped off. Unless there are some really good deals I will not be on these ships again and will pay the airfares to join a newer, cleaner, cheaper ship overseas. Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>