Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by zumbafan

Member Name: zumbafan
Cruise Date: July 2011
Cabin Category: 8A

Great vacation
Arrived early in Ft Lauderdale, so had to kill some time in airport until we could take a taxi to the port. Our trip didn't start off well as our non-verbal cab driver dropped us off before the area where the porters were to take the luggage, Since I have not cruised from this port before, I just followed folks with luggage! We wound up going thru check-in with all our luggage & had to keep it with us until we could get into our room at 1:30--however my favorite drink of the day the "Funship", helped once we got on board!

Our cabin steward Adolph greeted us warmly and took great care of our room all week. We upgraded to a balcony the Monday before the cruise and now I'm totally hooked on balconies--it was worth the price!

I had read about the decor from other CC posters and totally agree with them--the decor is dark and very strange--lots of orange/brown/golds mixed in with statue of liberty heads/70's prints/african inspired panels, etc--but I wasn't there for interior decorating tips!

We chose late seating for dinner and our waiter Oliver was fantastic--remembered all of our names and what we liked. The only night we had slow service was Captain's night when Oliver was not our main server that evening--he saw how slow the service was and stepped in to help out. Food was consistantly great each evening and Oliver was accomodating if we wanted to try additional dishes or wanted a double appetizer,etc. We always enjoy the warm chocolate melting cake!!

The entertainment on the ship was very varied--we did go to the four main shows in the theatre--the first night was ok: the swing/40's show was good but it seemed quite long or we may have been tired; the New Orleans show was really good with multiple costume/scene changes and the Beatles show was absolutely fantastic! We only saw one of the comedians--Eddie Capone twice at the adult show--the comedians were a bit funnier on my last ship, but it was a good time. We heard reggae, guitar music, rock, salsa at multiple venues on board. My daughters and I participated in a 3 day trivia contest where the venues changed each day and came in 2nd place out of over 10 teams! We also went to the art auction twice--very entertaining with Dave the auctioneer and free flowing champagne!I was good and did not gamble this cruise, but the casino was hopping every day and I believe 2 folks hit for large cash payouts.

We went to the Serenity deck each day and it was wonderful--jacuzzi was accessible and we always found chairs--much more comfortable than standard deck chairs. We could even each lunch without going back to Lido deck as they offered 5 selections right at the bar. The waiters were attentive on deck and very nice!

Did not use the spa this trip but did hit the gym--very large jacuzzi inside the gym! Had great time at past guest party and fun farewell party! Brad the cruise director was very funny and had a great staff working with him! Didn't catch outdoor movies since we ate late then would usually hit the shows. Disco and piano bar hopping each evening as well.

Overall we had a great vacation and will be booking again with Carnival.

Publication Date: 08/01/11