Regatta Cruise Review by colonial annie: Did not quite measure up.

colonial annie
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Regatta Alaska Cruises

Did not quite measure up.

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was my 2nd cruise on Regatta and frankly it was not quite up to my expectations compared to my previous cruise. Embarkation was not as slick as that in Amsterdam. Seemed a little disorganized.

The main problems occurred in Tapas (Terrace Cafe). I either received too much attention or none at all. There seemed to be no staff assigned to particular areas. Some people received double drinks. They placed an order and the waiter disappeared only to be replaced by another waiter who took drink orders again. Getting refills was either difficult or overdone. On one occasion dishes were removed while I was at the buffet( my purse was on the table) & when the waitress saw that I was back she brought my tea back from the dirty dish tray! Finding a sommelier seemed impossible sometimes which seemed odd since I am sure Oceania makes a great deal of profit on alcoholic drinks. Much of the food is bland which probably in deference to the average cruse passenger's age. Surprisingly More the most delicious meal I had the entire cruise was the curried lamb and it was in the Terrace Cafe

Toscana's and Polo were great as ever but at Toscana, at a group table, we had to ask for someone to wait on us. The Grand Dining Room remains my favorite as it is usually consistent (they did miss serving a salad to a guest at our table). Guests outrageously abused the "country club casual" suggested dress even after being reminded in the daily news letter.

The stateroom was well appointed, comfortable and service was great. However I did report early in the cruise that there were 2 wet spots on the floor. Have no idea if anyone checked it out.

The daily news letter should include, when necessary, a statement that the evening show is adult entertainment. There were a few kids on this cruise who attended the late shows forcing the show to be adapted. If the parents still wish their children to attend then they are responsible for their hearing suggestive material.

Internet fees are outrageous as most of time is spent waiting & waiting. The attendant was gracious refunding fees when the internet went out. But, he was not always there. I learned to never use my cell phone on board & also found internet cafes on shore (best one in Ketchikan).

Had some difficulty in communicating with crew on this cruise. For example, took some time to explain at Waves that I didn't want the sides with my hamburger. This was never a problem on last cruise.

On 7/26/11 I received a $200 coupon from Oceania which had to be redeemed within 45 days of my disembarking. Since I disembarked on 6/17/11 this left me little time to make a commitment to a new cruise. What a shame. The coupon was on my bed the last day of my previous cruise & I did redeem it for this cruise.

Ports were neat! Ketchikan was touristy but almost a relief after 4 very quiet ports.

While excursions were expensive 2 were especially fantastic - the jet boat in Wrangell & the float plane in Ketchikan! The jet boat afforded me the opportunity to see icebergs with beautiful deep blue compressed ice up close. In Icy Strait Point our guide was so proud of their students' accomplishments (4 graduated this yr.). For example, a student group in robotics participated in the nationals & placed 10th. Was also an experience to walk in Spasski River Valley with an armed guard. The Tingits have done a great job with their investment in tourism!

Was nice to have Terry Breen on board. Her talks were very imformative. We certainly could have used some spekers on last year's Baltic cruise!

Fortunately I had not opted for the Oceania "excursion" to the Vancouver Airport. I went in a van ($13 for seniors) which was available as soon as I disembarked. Less

Read more Regatta cruise reviews >>