Carnival Glory Cruise Review by photocruiser1: Mixed Bag

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Mixed Bag

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Okay, for the price I was not expecting much. I wanted to drive to Canada but the price of gas got me thinking that this might be the better option. I am glad I did this cruise, but here are some things to think about when choosing the Carnival Glory. Carnival is a good name for it, they try to get money out of you at every corner. Ironically, one of the constant 80's tunes that was play was Blonde's "One way or Another". (We are going to get your money.) I do not drink. At all. And the moment we boarded the ship, I was handed a drink. Not asked but handed it. I thought it was free and took a sip to find out it was a cocktail. Was holding it cordially until I could ditch it. But instead I was handed a bill to sign?????? ($7.50)  Learned the hard way but my friend ended taking the drink and put it on her tab. Got outta that one. Then we went to our cabin. I had read on here two days before our trip about bed bugs two doors down from our cabin. So went on a few sites to get More information on the buggers. The first thing we did was check the sheets and bingo! Blood stains or something on the sheets on my daughters bed. The apologize profusely and change the ASAP good!! Then I decide to take a nap and can smell that someone else had been in my bed (they change the sheets again). So we did not seem to have any problems with the cabin after that as a matter of fact the service was wonderful and prompt. Towel animals where fun.

Food-Took a minimum of 20 minutes-max about a hour to get a table in the Golden Dining room and service was very slow. Food was just okay needed spices nicely presented small portions but we where always full by the end of the meal. Rolls where not great, butter not tasty. The whole meal process took two hours.

Photos-I am a professional photographer and was very impressed with the quality of the photos. That said pricing was fair and I did get many. However I felt like the whole boat turning into one big photo shoot each evening. There where rigs set up every few yards in every open space causing congestion.

Pools/deck-Only went swimming for a few minutes. Salt water caught me by surprise so bring goggles for little ones. Pools where clean and not used much. Annoyed constantly by waiter asking if you wanted a drink while trying to read. UGH!

Teen program-Kids seemed to like it but thought daytime events where boring and opt'ed out until evening.

Steak house-Wonderful! But it's $30 extra

Spa & gym- took a class and they added a gratuity on their and didn't offer. Class was good but too crowded. They removed it from my bill. My dd loved the abs class which was free. My girlfriend did the detox class and felt she was strong armed into buying "Products" at the tune of $700?? She regretted the purchase after.

Ports-Was great to get off the ship!! Tour directors had great attitudes and stories. Which was good! Loved the locals! Photo tour was good but if you where there to learn there was little instruction time. Peggy's cove was a dream but the pink bus went very slow and you could not get much in at all as far as stops.

Casino-The first day the slots where very loose but after that nada. Also they make it very difficult to change or leave a machine so you find yourself saying "playing the game too long". I also noticed that one of machines would near jackpot the second pull every time day. (a teaser perhaps) also another machine would put you into the bonus round on the 2nd or 3rd pull everytime. I'm a seasoned slot player and I wasn't feeling random results here. Also every two- three minutes someone would ask you if you wanted a drink, very annoying (not exaggerating either).

Red Sail (casual dining)- Great Hamburgers, tasteless cold in the center hot dogs. the stuff to put of the hotdogs was placed in the wrong order of the buffet??? Weird and tough to cut back in line. The other food was just okay, Breakfast was "Mc quality" if you know what I mean. Loved the tropical fruit juice!!

Soda Card-Almost go suckered into this one. Was told it was $20 a week but when you got one the ship it was $6.00 a day and not needed. They serve free lemonade & juice and iced & hot tea and coffee & water. I can do without the soda.

Shows-Very good but I go to Broadway regulary and wasn't expecting much they exceeded my expectations and had lots of enthusiasm. Comedy was funny at times with the first guy but a bit offensive I'm not a prude but making fun of child sexual assault victims is not funny. I think that should be left out of the act.

I was warned the next guy was not funny and the review was right, didn't laugh at all.

Night clubs-Didn't see many people in them honestly. This wasn't a party crowd that I was warned of really. Nice people all around. But not your "upscale" crowd.

I also didn't like that they offered an event but when you got there it had a fee. Walked across the ship to go to "Raffle for a free cruise" to find it cost $20. etc

Would I do it again?? You might be surprised I would say "YES" because if you can say "NO" it's worth the money" Sort of a "buffet crowd" all around. If you are looking for eye candy the waiters delivered, but you will not find it around the pool. I'm a big woman and felt welcome among my sisters! Ha, Ha! So don't be afraid to pack a suit if you are in the "big & beautiful" division!

The staff works so hard on this ship to make everything right. In fact I'm concerned about their "workers rights" in a way but they are all adults hope they get to have some time off. Fun times in the dining room when they try to entertain! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Upper/Lower Empress 7345

7345 cheapest price on the 7th floor larger then most in it's class. Attentive maid.

Peggy's Cove is a photographers dream.

Read 347 Halifax Reviews

Fun shopping, if you live in New England the excursions will be just okay because it all looks like New England. Was a bit upset my camera battery that I put in to charge that morning was pulled out by the maid and had not charged so I had little juice left to take photos on a PHOTO excursion. I was told this is their policy so charge you batteries at night when you are in the room.