Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by tony11727: Great Time on The Explorer of the Seas

tony11727
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Time on The Explorer of the Seas

Sail Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

I'll preface my review by saying that I read a number of reviews about the Explorer of the Seas; some good, some bad, some in between. I tried to keep an open mind while on the ship, but at the same time keeping the advice of others in mind. I was traveling with my parents, brother and his family and sister and her family. There were 13 of us in all.

Embarkation: After reading about the infamous tent in several reviews, I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The tent, in my opinion, is better categorized as a large awning over the entrance way to shade those waiting on line to get in the building to check in and those waiting for their cars outside. Yes, the security area is clearly too small, which results in lines. Overall, though, as someone who travels a great deal by air for business, I was happy with the speed that we got through security (if only the TSA was so efficient!).

The check-in itself was relatively fast. My only criticism was that we were More handed health certification forms as we approached the head of the line. This meant digging in our bags for a pen to fill it out. I'd have appreciated getting this with our check-in documents.

Yes, the buses to the ship are an annoyance, but with the Explorer being the only ship leaving out of Cape Liberty, I wouldn't expect any major renovations in the near future.

There was the typical chaos boarding and waiting for the elevators. Having crew directing people on the same deck to dedicated elevators would have helped.

Stateroom: This was my third cruise. the first was in a tiny interior state room on the old Norwegian Norway (1994). It was my first cruise and I went with a singles tour and didn't know better. I booked a balcony on my second cruise with Carnival (2002)and found I was rarely in the room. This time I booked the Promenade interior stateroom on deck 8 overlooking the Royal Promenade. I was a bit worried about noise, but the windows were double paned and insulated. Never heard a thing. Overall, the stateroom was nice. But, as others noted, the ship is 10 years old and beginning to show its age. While it was kept immaculate by my lovely steward, Dawn, you could clearly see that the ship is in need of a revitalization. Like I said, I travel a great deal for business and I have to say that the bed linens were among the best I've seen in any hotel.

Windjammer: Many people have said they had trouble finding tables in the Windjammer Cage. We didn't have any trouble throughout the cruise, though the 13 of us typically only ate together at dinner.

The food in the Windjammer was ok. There were various selections that were outstanding, some that were terrible and most pretty decent.

Main Dining Room: Ok, here is where things fell apart. Prior to sailing, my brother in law checked on our table. With a party of 13, we assumed we would have two tables next to each other and planned to rotate each night to mix it up. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we had a single table. Unfortunately, it was at the entrance to the Magellan dining room and, even though there was a clear path around our table and the one next too us, people insisted on pushing their way between the two tables knocking into the people seated at both tables(the tables were set parallel to each other like this II).

The real problem, however, was the service, or lack of it. The waiter only introduced himself to some of the group. The barman literally walked away as my brother was giving him our drink orders. The last to arrive received their food before the first to arrive and we didn't get anything to drink for 45 minutes - well in to our main courses. To add insult to an already bad situation, by brother had to show the kids' soda cards to four different people before they could get a soda.

My brother and brother in law spoke to the dining room manager and we were moved the next night. It was a makeshift table to accommodate all of us, but the service from that point on was impeccable. Our waiter, Aniket, was great.

Like the Windjammer, the food was hit or miss. Definitely better than the Windjammer, but still off the mark at times. I knew about the surcharge for the filets, but still found it to be unacceptable.

The activities and shows on board were great. The cruise director and activities staff put together great shows and contests at the pool almost every day. The ice show is not to be missed. I still can't believe that they could put on such a professional production on a small rink on a ship at sea! And, their version of the Newlywed Game was really fun.

I didn't particularly care for the "big production" show called Fast Forward, but that's more a matter of taste.

I did have one issue with the entertainment. we spent the first day at sea a the pool. When the band wasn't performing, they played music over the loudspeakers. I was shocked when I heard a song with very vulgar language. I had to ask my sister if I was hearing things and she was shocked to hear the lyrics repeated. We were traveling with kids, so this was distressing, but I personally found the language to be offensive. I complained to the activities person on deck. He didn't seem to know what to do but said he would take care of it. During the course of the 10 days, I complained three times and the songs continued to be played. Only after I placed a card in the "shout out" box for the cruise director's morning show did anyone acknowledge the problem. He and the activities director promised to go through the 500 song play list to find and remove the offensive songs. Frankly, I don't know how such the crew's response. I work in Manhattan and have to hear that kind of language on the streets and subways every day. I don't want to hear it on my vacation and certainly not at the family pool!

Dress Codes: I really over packed for this trip. It seems that the only dress code that was enforced was the "no bathing suits" and "shirts and shoes required" in the Windjammer. Even on formal nights, people showed up in the main dining room in shorts and were seated. Either have the dress code and enforce it, or drop it all together.

Spa: I booked three massages at the spa, but canceled one. I prefer a male therapist, because they are stronger. The Explorer only has female therapists, so I took a chance. The massages were relaxing, but not the intense therapeutic massage I'm used to. The pricing wasn't as bad as I expected. Like everything else, they were more than on shore and I for what I paid for a 55 minute massage I usually pay for a 90 minute session.

Health: One last note on the dining rooms. As someone stated, there were hand sanitizers at the entrance to all of the eateries and, unlike some peoples' experiences, the staff did direct everyone to use them before entering. I really appreciated this given the number of people I saw picking things up off the buffets with their hands, even when a pair of tongs was right there.

Disembarkation: Disembarkation was very organized. There was some confusion though. The instructions aired over the TV said not to go to your disembarkation station early, yet the cabin stewards were trying to get people out of their rooms as quick as possible to get them ready for the next sailing. Completely understandable, but housekeeping and the rest of the crew should be on the same page.

Overall, this was a great cruise. It was a fantastic family vacation and we all had a great time. Would all cruise together again? Absolutely! Would it be on the Explorer of the Seas? Not so sure. Maybe if it were revitalized and stopped nickle and diming guests for upgraded steaks and fresh squeezed orange juice ($2.50) at breakfast. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Promenade Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8577

Cabin 8577 Promenade rooms on deck 8 appear slightly larger than on decks 6 or 7 because the promenade is 9 meters at floor level, but tapers in to 8 meters at the ceiling of deck 8. The result is the windows in the deck 8 promenade rooms slope out at the top giving the illusion of extra space. This is a quiet room because there are guests only on one side. The other side is a service area that is quiet at night. The TV is ancient! My parents, brother and sister all had rooms with new flat screen TVs. I had an old fashioned CRT TV! A flat panel screen would have given the feel of more space. Closet is decent size for one (an over packer like me) or two with a reasonable amount of close. There is little drawer space, but there are shelves in the closet and a double clothes rod. The safe is in the closet at an odd angle, so you practically have to get into the closet to use the safe.

Horseshoe Bay is not to be missed. Skip the excursion and take a cab (about $40 with tip). You'll get there before the crowds and have time to find the perfect spot.

Don't be surprised when the beach fills up. Take an extra few minutes and walk further east when you arrive.

Skip lunch in Bermuda and eat on the ship. Five of us spent $120 with tip for burgers and colas!

I've been to San Juan on business and didn't bother to get off the ship this time. I went to the spa instead. We were only in port for 5 hours, so it hardly seemed worth the effort.

I have been to the fort in Old San Juan and would recommend it if you've never seen it.

Read 1367 San Juan Reviews

We took a cab to Orient Beach on the French side of the island. There are beach shacks along the beach selling fairly reasonable food and drink and renting lounge chairs and umbrellas for $5 per person for the day.

The beach is nice. Be warned that the beach here is narrow, so if the tide comes in you don't have much room to back up your chairs. Also, be warned that it is not uncommon for women to sunbath topless on the beach. Also, Orient Beach is directly next to a nude beach, COMPLETELY nude, and it's not uncommon for the guests at that beach to walk to the boarder of Orient Beach.

I'd suggest taking a beach excursion. The best time I ever had was on an excursion on the Norway. It was a short tour around the island, a lunch of cheese and bread and wine, then a few hours at a beautiful beach. Calm waters, wide beach. Yes, it was topless too, but so much nice than Orient. I wish I could remember the name...

I've been here on my last two cruises. The beaches are nice and the tram ride to the peak is not to be missed. The real attraction here is the shopping.

You can bring back to the US up to 5 liters of alcohol as long as one is locally made.

Then there are the jewelry and watch stores. Anything you could possibly want can be found here at an exceptional price. The best part is that US citizens can bring up to $800 back into the states duty free, but up to $1,600 if the purchases are from St Thomas.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews