Disney Dream Cruise Review by Oceanmarina

Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Great Family Dream Cruise ~ with some critiques/issues
Disney Dream: Sailing Date July 10th, 2011 5 night Bahamas Cruise

This was our 6th cruise (first with our kids). Our 2nd Disney cruise. We paid 6,000. for a category 4A balcony. Other than one or two issues, the Disney Dream did not disappoint! My kids (ages 6 & 3) have actually cried a few times since we have been home, they miss being on the boat that much.

Embarkation: Disney seriously needs to fix this situation, after 6 cruises I can honestly say it was absolutely the worst out of any cruise we have been on. There was no place for people to sit, so they were sitting on the floor, you had to walk over people/kids, I cannot believe how horrible the experience was, it did not start our cruise off in a good way, a PACKED terminal, waiting to board the ship for almost 2 hours, the worst, standing with our 2 small kids! Grade: F

Cabin: We had a great mid-ship balcony, cabin 9098. Let's face it, after being on land vacations, your cabin does seem tiny, but it was clan & kept it great condition from our housekeeper. Many cabins on the dream have adjoining doors, but you could never hear any noise from the adjoining cabin. Grade: B+

Food: We thought the food was very good overall, with some dishes being truly excellent. We loved having a different menu every night in the dining rooms, the truffle raviolis were amazing. We were disappointed to not see lobster on the menu, after shelling out 6000. for 5 nights we felt that Disney should definitely have lobster tails at the very least! (I mean I had lobster on Carnival, so Disney is definitely cheap on this one!) Cabana's buffet was always great. We did Paolo's on the Wonder & really enjoyed it, but since we were with the kids this time, we stayed in the main dining room all nights. I heard many other people complain about the food onboard, but I was so thrilled not to have to cook, I was very happy! Was it the same caliber food we had on our Celebrity & Princess cruises, no, but it did beat the food on Royal Caribbean by a mile! Grade: B+

Pool: WAY TOO SMALL! Hopefully Disney will make larger pools for the Fantasy, this was the only thing I hated on the ship, the pools were too small for a boat of this size, I dreaded the sea day because I knew the pools were going to be WAY overcrowded (& they were). We caw Cars 2 on the sea day because the pools were way overcrowded, but on all my other voyages, I enjoyed the pool, but I felt forced to do something else because of the crowding issue, Disney dropped the ball on this. To have tiny pool this size considering the number of passengers is dangerous in my opinion. Grade F

Castaway Cay: We love this island; you walk right off the boat, no tendering. Beautiful white sand beach (more of an inlet though, no waves). Ice cream machines, shops, photo ops with characters, everything you would want. Grade A+ NOTE: **Beware Hammock Hogs! Now I understand the need for people to reserve chairs at the poor or beach because you cannot swim with your stuff, but people had the nerve to reserve hammocks with shoes, towels, etc & disappear for hours! Well I wanted a picture of my daughter on the hammock so I moved a towel off and got one. Disney needs to put up a sign that once you get off the hammock, no saving it. So many people could not enjoy the hammock, that is not right!

Enjoyment Factor: Other than the pool situation, we really had a fabulous time. Lots of character photo ops, always great activities & things to do for the kids. Shows were fabulous, we golfed with goofy on deck 12, we saw great movies..The 5 days flew by! Grade A

Photo CD Note: We bought the rights to all of the professional pictures taken by the Disney cruise photographers for$ 250.00. We had 128 professional pictures taken! (it actually had to be put on 2 cd's for us, so it was definitely worth it). This gives you the actual picture file, so you can use it for your holiday photos, kids birthday party invitations, etc. In order to make these pictures jpeg files (so you can upload them to shutterfly, etc. follow the directions on this link : http://www.ehow.com/how_5686679_open-enc-files.html

Because the Disney cd has the pictures as an ENC file and most of us use JPEG files. Also, when you buy this CD, all pictures you buy at Shutters (the ship photo studio) gives you a 50% discount, so we also bought some pictures (the ship photos had great Disney borders on them). We were very happy we bought this CD, I recommend it if you took a lot of professional photos on the ship.

Publication Date: 07/29/11