Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Anni: Chef Eddie a true gem in the text message era

Anni
Member Since 2001

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Chef Eddie a true gem in the text message era

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I cruised with Celebrity Century many years ago and can remember the amazing food and service and sitting at the back of the ship looking out towards the past. The tranquility of the sound of the water going around the big propelers still lives with me. Therefore we booked a Sunset veranda and we got plenty of the propeler sound which we loved, often sleeping with the door open. Breafast every morning on the veranda. Very nice whilst on the go to Rome, Florens, Venice, Dubrovnik and so on. We loved many things with the Soltice. At first it came across very cold with the atrium, almost naked greating us. When we got over that we where on a floating luxury hotel instead of a ship we did like it and most of all the SPA area with it's Solarium, SPA cafe and gym with classes. A bonus if you do want to get away and try to get in a slightly better shape. Food was excellent in the Main Restaurant and we never felt that we needed to book in anywhere else. It is a smart large restaurant and it More does feel a bit special and not just like the cruise ship is feeding the hungry crowds. Chef Eddie is amazing and showed me and my husband the most memorable character of all the staff. He worked his socks of with his gentle homour and making everything look very easy. Cruise Director was also working overtime and I can just imagine what he looks like when he finally gets to his cabin. Or he might work 24/7?? Shows are pretty good and better standard that I expected. The 4 guys walking around singing A capella we could have done with out. Great idea but would have prefered if they could sing in tune and reach the notes. Tired voices I expect. Jazz trio was very good. It is such an well oiled machine that it leaves you with a feel that you are not special at all. Strange to write that really but there is nothing charming about Celebrity Solstice just very pro with Chef Eddie making up for everyones perfect smiles. I'm sure there are lot of nice people working on the ship and it shines through how grinding it is and that the company do slip when the staff texting friends and family at home. Especially the poor sods that works in the toilets can't hide there phones quick enough and a small thing like that just cracks the perfect fasad a bit and show that we are all human.

What I didn't like about this cruise was to get an amazing massage and what I liked less was that before you have a change to open your eyes, the nice massage lady turns into Executive Sales Lady on a mission to clinch the deal. She held up different options to me 'which one do you want?' which one...this one or that one...? I felt I had no choice in saying no. I didn't book another massage when it left me stone cold on the hard sell.

AND IF YOU ARE FROM ENGLANG THINKING ABOUT BUYING THE ELEMIS ALGE DETOX CAPSULES AND GET ASSURANCES OF HOW CHEAP THEY ARE ON BOARD. DON'T BUY THEM!!!! They are £230 cheaper in England!!!!!

We did all the ports on our own steam and paid a fraction of the prices that Celebrity charges and it's nicer if you are so inclined.

From what we heard other people was saying about the speciality restaurants, they served the same thing more or less than the main restaurant but just in a more intimate environment. Well we all have to get our kicks from somewhere.

And as almost everyone else says, it gets VERY crowded in the pool area on sail days with no space at all to jump in and out of your sun beds so you better be friendly with your neighbours so they move an inch so you can get out if you didn't do all that gym classes you promised yourself to get the stamina to navigate safely out of some very tight spots!

Have a great holiday! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Sunset Veranda Stateroom Continental Deck (6)

6307 has it's own big hallway that it shares with only one cabin. Felt we had the place to ourself. A long way to walk at the very back of the ship but for us it was worth it with the sun sets and a feel of tranquility we loved.