Carnival Victory Cruise Review by hi2you: Ladies of Leisure cruise

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

May 22-29, 2011

I must say, since I first sailed on Victory in 2006, the changes made are fabulous and it was a great ship the first time.

We drove to Michigan as it was cheaper than flying out of Canada. Our morning flight call began at 3:30AM with a shuttle to the airport for our 6AM flight aboard Air Tran. We landed in Georgia to catch the longer flight to San Juan. Both flights went smooth. It was raining when we arrived in San Juan, but that didn't damper our spirits one bit. We were going cruising. It was my sister's friend first cruise. Embarkation was quick, the quickest I have ever had-we didn't really even have to stand in line.

Once on board, our cabins weren't ready yet, so we grabbed something to eat first pulling our carry-on luggage behind us. Since there were three of us sharing a cabin, there was a bunkbed in the room. I chose to use it. It was very comfortableOnce the rooms were available we ditched our carry-ons and headed back off ship to More tour and shop. Night-time rolled in and we headed back to re-board the ship. It looked lovely all lit up welcoming us aboard.

St.Thomas

We took a Rumbata Charter (not through the cruise line) snorkelling adventure on a small boat. There was a crew of two and five guests. There was another couple of a Royal Caribbean ship, wanting to take the charter but needed more people. They posted on our roll call. We were interested and hopped onboard. We took a small dingy escorted by our Captain, from the dock in Red Hook (we had grabbed a taxi from the ship), to our boat for the day. Upon settling in, we were immediately offered blueberry bread and drinks by Laurie the Captain's 1st mate. As we headed towards St. John's Island getting a great history lesson, it looked like storm clouds. Our captain veered in another direction, and we enjoyed sunshine all day long. Judy and Martha's back were burnt from snorkelling-I hate to think what mine would've been like had I not been wearing my special sun top. Instead I only ended up with burned legs. I wore a flotation vest as did most everyone else -just wanted extra assurance while swimming in deep water.. There were so many beautiful fish-rainbow coloured ones, pretty blue ones. We saw some kind of shark, though we didn't know that was what it was until we were back aboard for lunch. The lunch looked amazing, but my motion sickness came on(I hadn't even thought to bring gravol or my motion band), and I could barely eat any of it. I felt so bad. Everyone else enjoyed it though. Along the way, we passed the Island Johnny Depp used to own and saw his old home. We also saw Kenny Chesney's home from a distance and his boat docked in Red Hook.

SEA DAY

We didn't stay out in the sun too much this day. We went to a Salsa dance class. This was the first formal evening where we met the captain and had a photo taken with him.

Barbados

I took a taxi to meet my friend who lived on the Island at her daughter's school- an old plantation. The driver got lost. We spent a lovely day touring the East coast and stopping for a snack at the Round House-a pricey restaurant which had dolphin on the menu. We walked along one of the beaches and a nice English couple took our picture for us. My sister and her friend did a beach and tour of Harrison cave's. They had booked from Cruise critic suggestions, and ended up having a tour with just the two of them.

I think this was the night we did the Pub Crawl. We went from piano bar, to disco, to karaoke bar and sang and danced. It was fun.

St. Lucia

Tree top Ziplining-This was so much fun. The ziplines are much faster, and longer and higher here (the highest was 250 feet in the air), then Ontario. It poured down rain, just before we began. For these zips we didn't zip tree to tree, we actually had to do some walking to get to the next one. Afterwards we travelled back to the ship. We looked around at a few vendors, then boarded. We had lunch, and changed into bathing suits, then went up to lay out on the Adults Only Serenity deck. It was nice and quiet as most people were still ashore. This was the 2nd 'elegant evening. We went to a great musical show. Judy and Martha also participated in a scavenger hunt of sorts with other people.

St. Kitts

I had initially thought I would stay onboard in St. Kitts. Judy suggested we go walk around a bit and decide what we wanted to do. This woman named Veronica approached us, giving offering a tour in her air-conditioned van for $20. We decided to do it. A lot of driving with a few stops-but it was nice to see some of the island. This is an Island I really don't need to visit again, or if I did, I would stay on the ship. Some of the people in the van wanted to get out and go swimming at a beach. We left them at one and continued touring returning to the ship.

St. Maarten

We took a taxi to Orient beach-I think I have the name correct. For $7 we were given a lounger with an umbrella and a drink of choice-alcoholic or none. The water was fabulous. I wore my H20 top again to prevent any burning. After Judy and Martha walked in one direction down the beach, Martha and I later walked in another. It was the nude part. Total nudity I say, and it was older people.

Debarkation

Up early the next morning, we wanted to do self-assist with our luggage but they don't allow non-USA citizens to do that. So we had to leave our checked luggage outside the room the night before. We went to see the last show-fellow cruisers singing. All the shows onboard were pretty much the same as previous cruises.

At home I realized, this was one bad sunburn I had acquired. I was peeling three weeks later still. I love the sun, but it doesn't love me.

All I can say is PROTECTION, PROTECTION, PROTECTION. KEEP APPLYING-ESPECIALLY WHEN SNORKELLING!!! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>