Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by Sher23114: Amazing Alaska

Amazing Alaska

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

What a wonderful experience from start to finish. We just returned from a Celebrity Infinity Alaska cruise. I spent a lot of time reading on cruise Critic prior to our cruise and found some wonderful things to do! We arrived in Seattle on Wed., July 13 from Virginia via Continental. We had reservations at the Warwick Hotel at the corner of Lenore Ave and Fourth St. It is an older hotel but don't let that stop you. Its location was perfect. We were downtown about four blocks from the Westlake Center where the tram stop is located and surrounded by restaurants and shops. The people at the Warwick could not have been nicer. The Concierge helped us with maps and ideas and also getting taxi's when needed. We walked to Pike's Place on our first full day. It was so much larger than anticipated. Yes it was crowded but the experience was worth the crowd. We have never seen such beautiful flowers in such abundance. Naturally the fish market was a must. We decided to be real tourists and took More the Duck tour bus. Fun!

On Friday we took a taxi to the port which was a short distance away. I like to arrive early and we were the first group of people in line. That meant we were the first people thru the check in process and the first on the ship. We were on in perfect time for lunch and were able to avoid the crowds. Our cabin was actually ready by 1:30 which was nice. The cabin was much like any other although the rounded corners on the bed gave you a bit more leg room. Plenty of hangers and drawers! It seemed to have more storage space than others we have been aboard.

Sunday we arrived in Juneau. Again I had found the name of Captain Jack Cadigan 's company, ScaniaWW on Cruise Critic. We booked him several months out for a whale watching tour on his double hulled yacht. The really nice thing was he only took 8 people plus himself and a mate. The inside part of

Monday we arrived in Skagway. The weather had turned wonderful again with 80 temp. and sunny skies. We had booked an SUV ride/tour (found on CC) with Becky McGill of Beyond Skagway. She was right on time and picked us up at the dock. She drove us around Skagway for a few minutes as it is really

small! And told us local history. Then we got on the Yukon Highway and started north. We stopped at lakes and other interesting scenery. We crossed over into the Yukon, CA., so had to have our passports. One stop was In Carcross (Caribou Crossing) to see a native Indian carver and his apprentices. They were carving huge totums for the soon to be new Indian Lodge. We stopped at Bee's log house. Bee is a local lady who lives there in the summer. She showed us her log cabin that was built by her husband

like this that make traveling worth the trouble! Our 6 hour tour ended up being 8 hours but Becky said she was having such fun with us she didn't mind a bit! She had us back to Juneau in plenty of time to still take in shopping.

The next morning we cruised thru the Misty Fjord for several hours and had a day at sea. We arrived in Victoria, BC at 6:30 PM the next evening. Beautiful place. Everyone had told us it was a little sea side

city but we found it to be much bigger than expected.

We arrived back in Seattle Friday morning. I was very happy with this cruise. It was our first Celebrity cruise. I personally think the food was much better than on Carnival or Holland America. I also think the

entertainment was better. Much better! The reviews were as good as any Broadway show I've been to see. I found myself looking forward to the ships evening shows for the first time. The crew gave a performance on the last full day aboard. It was really funny and we were surprised at the talent. We will definitely cruise with Celebrity again.

We spent three more days in Seattle at the Warwick Hotel before starting home. We managed to get a lot of sightseeing in. The Space Needle is a must! We had lunch in the cafe while overlooking the city. We also went to the Flight Museum and found it to be very interesting. We were able to go inside a Concord and an AirForce One.

Going home was a bit of a chore as our flight was held an hour in Seattle. When we reached Newark airport, there had been thunderstorms. Our flight was delayed three hours! We made it home by 2:15 AM. Fortunately our bodies were still on Seattle time!

Great trip! Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 6095

Our cabin was near the middle of the ship. That gave us a shorter walk to the elevator. The cabin had ample storage places. We had a balcony room just above the lifeboats. I would have rather not had the tops of the lifeboats in my pictures and will know better next time. Our steward was wonderful.

Sunday we arrived in Juneau. Again I had found the name of Captain Jack Cadigan ís company, ScaniaWW on Cruise Critic. We booked him several months out for a whale watching tour on his double hulled yacht. The really nice thing was he only took 8 people plus himself and a mate. The inside part of the yacht was warm, comfortable and he had coffee brewed! Given the fact that it was about 55 degrees and windy with on and off rain, that was greatly appreciated. I sat up top with Capt. Jack. We saw whales, whales and more whales. A wonderful time was had by all. We still had plenty of time to shop when we got back to the town.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

On Saturday we arrived in Ketchikan. The weather was perfect! 80 degrees and sunny. I had found the names of several float plane companies on Cruise Critic and decided on Sea Wind Aviation. Upon contacting them several months ago I found them to be a young couple with three children. Leslie Kamm handled our reservation and answered the many questions I had along the way. They could not have been nicer. When we arrived for our float plane trip all was ready and off we went. There were six of us plus the pilot. Amazing ride! We soared above Misty Fjord and over lakes and mountains. Breath taking scenery. We landed on the lake and were able to get off the plane and onto the island. All in all it was perfect. I can not say enough nice things about Sea Wind Aviation.

Monday we arrived in Skagway. The weather had turned wonderful again with 80 temp and sunny skies. We had booked an SUV ride/tour (found on CC) with Becky McGill of Beyond Skagway. She was right on time and picked us up at the dock. She drove us around Skagway for a few minutes as it is really small! And told us local history. Then we got on the Yukon Highway and started north. We stopped at lakes and other interesting scenery. We crossed over into the Yukon, CA., so had to have our passports. One stop was In Carcross (Caribou Crossing) to see a native Indian carver and his apprentices. They were carving huge totums for the soon to be new Indian Lodge. We stopped at Beeís log house. Bee is a local lady who lives there in the summer. She showed us her log cabin that was built by her husband years ago and shared many stories. We went on to the Carcross Desert. Yes desert! Then onto the Dunaroamin Bread and Breakfast for lunch. Suzanne and her husband served us a delicious homemade lunch in a Mongolian Yurt on the shore of one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Its experiences like this that make traveling worth the trouble! Our 6 hour tour ended up being 8 hours but Becky said she was having such fun with us she didnít mind a bit! She had us back to Juneau in plenty of time to still take in shopping.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

The next morning we cruised thru the Misty Fjord for several hours and had a day at sea. We arrived in Victoria, BC at 6:30 PM the next evening. We had been told that it is a beautiful place. Everyone had told us it was a little sea side city but we found it to be much bigger than expected. Shopping was fine but by this time we were so tired we went back to the ship and rested. The ship docked too far from the city. You had to take a shuttle ride to get into the city and back to the ship. You could not even walk there. That was disappointing.

Read 558 Victoria Reviews