“Traveling solo - go for it.”
Cruise review of Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2)

Wilma Jamieson Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 5 Traveling solo - go for it.
Wilma Jamieson
Member Since
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Check in at Southampton was smooth & quick. Luggage arrived within 15 minutes of me reaching my cabin - sorry stateroom - Cunard don't have cabins!

Stateroom on port side, midships, between stairs B & C was an excellent location. Steward, Fernando, introduced himself on my arrival and I can't praise him enough, Absolutely excellent and he soon discovered that I was an early riser and had the cabin cleaned and ready for the day by the time I came back from breakfast.

One criticism was the food. I had breakfast and lunch in the Kings Court. Dinner in the Britannia Restaurant at a table for 6. Kings Court breakfasts were the same throughout the 3 areas and I can't fault the selection and service. However the individuality between the Kings Court areas at lunchtime seems to have been lost with exception of Lotus which still has an Asian theme albeit the food was rather bland. Last year the sushi displays and chocolate displays were amazing but missing 2011. My waiting team in the Britannia were first class (Marcel & co) but the menus are 'pretentious' and portions on the small side with virtually no vegetables other than a token piece of carrot or tomato. It would be good to order an additional portion of potatoes or mixed veg.

Lectures were also excellent as was the planetarium. Theatre shows were disappointing but then again I am not a fan of variety shows. The variety of films was also disappointing. Southampton - New York - Halifax - Boston - New York - Southampton, the films were repeated each week!

Thoroughly enjoyed the leg from New York to Halifax, Boston and back to New York. The majority of the passengers were American and very forgiving of a Brit whose American history was almost non existant. Cunard put on a brilliant evening on 4th July - well done Cunard.

As a smoker, I would like an indoor bar area where I could enjoy a cigarette and a drink or a coffee and a seat! Surely on the size of the QM2 Cunard could provide such an area. In saying that, the Pavillion Bar smoking area (deck 7) is excellent on a dry day in warm weather.

Travelling solo was not a problem. Fellow travellers were great. I met so many interesting people it was unbelievable. Everyone talks to one another - in restaurants, lifts, on deck, in bars - not mention some fantastic table companions in Britannia.

Despite the criticism - or nit picking - I am booked to back on QM2 for a cruise to the Canaries in October and looking forward to it very much.

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruises to Transatlantic
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

6172
6172, port side. Great location midships between stairways B & C with a pleasant balcony. Air conditioning a little noisy and one was aware of engine noise but it didn't spoil the trip. Hallway very quiet.

Port
Lovely town. Interesting 'Duck' tour and being there on 4th July was really special. Would definitely go back.

Read 368 Boston Reviews
Port
Shore excursion to Peggy's Cove was disappointing because the weather was foggy but the tour guide was brilliant. The terminal is very close to the town and if I go back I will explore on foot.

Read 469 Halifax Reviews
Published 07/28/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review
Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruises to Transatlantic
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?