Carnival Dream Cruise Review by karaokecruisr: Carnival Dream 8469

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream 8469

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I and another couple went on the Carnival Dream in May, 2011. Overall, we had a great time. Ship was the largest we had ever been on, but we had no issue getting around and finding things. Pools were always crowded, but we've come to expect that is standard on cruises. Never had an issue at least getting a deck chair (so long as you didnt want to be near the pool!)

Stateroom was very nice. We were concerned about the size because we had heard mixed reviews about these aft cabins with longer balconies, but we thought it was plenty big by cruise standards. True, there is no couch, but we never just "sit" in the cabin anyway so I preferred having the larger balcony to sit on. The balcony has a deck chair, small table and regular chair. There is a long hallway into the cabin, which was nice because I think it insulated us from any hallway noise. I would book this cabin again. One word of caution for those prone to seasickness - being so far back on the ship can More prove to be interesting in rough seas. We had two days of choppy water, and bounced around pretty well! Our cabin steward was WONDERFUL, by the way.

Food was good - standard breakfast; we didn't have lunch everyday but it seemed fine; dinner was fantastic. We did eat in the steakhouse one night for an additional $30pp, but well worth it. Highly recommend! After hours food seemed sparse, and the pizza was HORRENDOUS (but you are dealing with a NY-er here). Pasta bar upstairs from the buffets was a nice find on the last day.

I will say the wait staff on this ship was no where near as good as our experience on the Carnival Freedom. They were certainly friendly enough but the level of service was not of the same caliber. In general, I will say, with the exception of our Cabin Steward and the other people servicing cabins, the staff seemed a little more "abrupt" than our previous experience on the Freedom. Not enough to damage our trip in any way but definitely noticeable. Particularly the karaoke host(s). Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Verandah 8469

Stateroom was very nice. We were concerned about the size because we had heard mixed reviews about these aft cabins with longer balconies, but we thought it was plenty big by cruise standards. True, there is no couch, but we never just "sit" in the cabin anyway so I preferred having the larger balcony to sit on. The balcony has a deck chair, small table and regular chair. There is a long hallway into the cabin, which was nice because I think it insulated us from any hallway noise. I would book this cabin again. One word of caution for those prone to seasickness - being so far back on the ship can prove to be interesting in rough seas. We had two days of choppy water, and bounced around pretty well! Our cabin steward was WONDERFUL, by the way. I have pictures, but unsure how to post!

Again, we did not do any shore excursions in Belize but I will tell you Belize City was a complete waste of time when explored on your own. The cruise told guests multiple times "not to go past the barbed wire fence and wall" and they were not kidding. There was a group of "characters" trying to entice you to pass the heavily armed police and come into "town". We thought better of the idea and were back on the ship rather quickly. The tender ride was incredibly long....you couldn't even see the ship from the port.

Costa Maya was nice - probably my favorite for shopping. There was a bar with a great pool, but we didn't know about it ahead of time so didn't have our suits. One thing that made me sad was the condition of the dolphin experience. Kind of sad to see the dolphins cooped up in such a small, poorly kept area. Again, no shore excursions for us and the water was WAY to rough to consider going in.

Went to Chankanaab and enjoyed a full day of snorkeling on our own. We had our own equipment - but you MUST HAVE a snorkeling vest. They will not let you snorkel without one, even if you have your own equipment.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Although the idea of swimming in such close proximity to two large cruise ships seems odd (they're actually far away but look very close) the water was wonderful. We rented the private cabina for 4 and it was well worth it. It includes a semi private beach (there are other cabinas who share the beach space) and a hammock, two chairs and waiter/waitress service. And having a place with air conditioning to get out of the heat for a few minutes was a plus. The more public areas of the beach seemed very crowded with one blanket nearly touching the other and people stepping over one another to get anywhere. We also went straight to the beach instead of any shore excursions, so we had the water almost to ourselves for the first few hours. By the time the second, and then third ship showed up we were on our way back into town for some shopping and back on the boat.

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews