Pacific Dawn Cruise Review by Sunset Waves

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Other
Destination: South Pacific
Cabin Category: aa
See More About: Pacific Dawn Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | P&O Australia Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Pacific Dawn Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Week Fantastique
Week Fantastique.

July 9th to July 16, 2011.

*Brisbane * Noumea * Lifou * Port Vila * Brisbane.

By Cassie Grieves (8 years old) with a little help from Mum.

Day One (Sat 9thJuly) : Our Adventure Begins....

I can't wait to go on the cruise. It's my first time and I'm so excited. Grandma and Grandpa came to pick us up at 6.00am and drove us to the airport. Nike, my dog, came to the airport too. He was barking and crying when we left him behind with Grandma and Grandpa.

I helped pack my Nintendo, camera and black poodle bag. We flew all the way from Melbourne to Brisbane. It took about 2 hours. When we landed in Brisbane it was 15 degrees. We took a taxi to the port and checked in.

When we were able to board the Pacific Dawn I was so amazed. The ship had a swimming pool and whirlpools. We went to Palm Court for lunch. We shared our table with an old couple. There was an announcement for everyone to go to the Show Lounge for a safety drill. The cruise director had a microphone in his hand and talked about safety should something go wrong. We booked into the Shark Shack kids club. I love playing air ice hockey.

We went to a magic show. One trick was swallowing razor blades. Another was escaping a strait jacket. There was a trick using Chinese rings. I know there is a hole in one of rings but I don't know how he did the razorblade trick.

We went to a laser light show in the Atrium. I thought of my friend Lucia. She would have loved it. The music was a bit too loud but it was so beautiful. Bright pink, orange, green and more different colours. At the start of the show the music went "DerDerDerDoooo DoDoDoooooo". And kept getting lower and lower. It gave me a fright.

That night I dreamed about what tomorrow might be like, the magic show and the laser show.

Day Two (Sun 10th July): First day at sea...

I got up and got changed as usual. We had breakfast in bed. It was delicious. In the afternoon we went to the buffet. I had curry with rice, fruit, vegetables and bread rolls.

I wore my bathers underneath my clothes. After eating I jumped in the pool. It was freezing. I jumped straight out and said "BrrBrr" a few times. I waited on the outdoor stage for the staff to open the spa. I waited for ten minutes. We jumped in. It was so hot. I made a friend called MacKenzie. We played together and danced. After that we went downstairs and watched the circus. They did amazing things like dropping down from really high. It was quite dangerous.

Later when I went back to the Shark Shack I saw my new friend MacKenzie there. I saw the "Do you wanna Dance ?" show in the Show Lounge. The singers and dancers were very good. My favourite dance was the bullfight-like dance.

When we went back to the room, our cabin steward, Jonel, had made a dog out of towels for me. The eyes were made from the lids of the milk packages.

Day 3 (Mon 11th July): Noumea, New Caledonia

Our ship arrived at New Caledonia. We caught a bus. It took us to Anse Vata beach. We walked along the beach and I picked coconuts from the trees. I ate an icecream and Mum had a crepe. Mum said $8 is a lot to pay for an icecream. We waited for the bus there. When we hopped off I saw a stage and ran to it and did cartwheels. My hands got dirty. We went back to the boat and had dinner. It was so delicious. There were some rich chocolates on our bed. Mmmmmm. Then we went to the market. Mum, bought a necklace for grandma. It was expensive. But mum bought cheaper ones for Ju Feng, Susan and Sara. I wanted a necklace but got a ball that flashes when it bounces instead.

Day 4 : (Tue 12 th July) Lifou

I woke up and it was like any other day. I had Nutrigrain and bacon and eggs for breakfast. I then went downstairs one floor and I saw MacKenzie. She is my best friend on the cruise. She was getting changed to go to a Village tour. I went down to deck 5. I went in a boat. These boats are called tenders. We went snorkelling. We saw a lot of colourful fish and coral. The colours of the fish were wonderful. We bumped into MacKenzie's family. We walked along and Mum went to a garden. It had a house where the natives live. There was a dog. It was so skinny because it did not have enough food. It was so hot there. When we came to the end of it I had a coconut drink...REALLY ORGANIC. We went back and I went to the Shark Shack. Afterwards we saw "The Pirates of the Pacific" show. When I came back to the cabin Jonel had made me an elephant made of towels.

Day 5 : (Wed 13th July) Vanuatu

I woke up at 7.15am. Well I actually woke up at six something. I had breakfast at 7.15am. Nutrigrain and apple juice. I played my Nintendo for 50 minutes. I played Mario Bros. I went to World One. I went to Bowsers Castle but then died.

I went on a buggy at Off Road Adventures. I was screaming when we first went on the buggies because it was so fast. We went through a sandy part and it was so dusty. Lucky Mum gave me a scarf to cover my nose and mouth. Our buggy broke down and we had to get a new battery. It took a long time so we had to speed really fast to catch up to the others. It was so fast I nearly fell out !

We saw hundreds of baby turtles. We were allowed to pick them up. They were so cute. I went to lunch and had an organic steak. I cut the steak into little bits and put some lettuce on top and got to make a sandwich. Later when we were driving back home I threw some lollies, menthos, to the children.

We went to Cascade Falls. It was so beautiful. I had to climb through the water and some parts were slippery. I went for a swim. It was very cold but refreshing. Dad tried to take a picture of me but I always stuck my tongue out! When we went back I didn't want to go.

We went back to the ship. We played bingo. Mum said if she won the $2000 jackpot, she would give it to MacKenzie's Mum. MacKenzie's sister has something wrong with her and needs some special care. Unfortunately though we didn't win. That night was island night. Mum went in a hula hoop competition and was really good. I did some dancing too.

Day 6 (Thu 14th July) : At Sea

I thought about Nike and wondered if he was crying. There were a few theme nights while we at sea. Island night, cowboy night and a couple of formal nights. Mum & Dad also went to cocktails with the Captain of the ship and some of his senior officers. Mum and Dad got a photo with the Captain's autograph on it for free.

Day 7: (Fri 15th July) : At Sea

We tried our luck again at bingo. This time the jackpot was $4000. We thought if we won we'd give $2000 to MacKenzie's sister, Paris, and then buy a painting we saw at the auction. It was a painting of a ballerina. I thought the picture was beautiful and I do ballet too.

Dad went to golf putting. Dad also sang karaoke but I wasn't able to watch because it was in the Bengal Bar. I slept while Dad was singing. Dad was in the golf putting contest but he didn't win. He was also in the Pacific Popstar competition. He didn't win but got a P&O bag with P&O caps, key chains and a stubby holder.

Day 8 (Sat 16th July) Back to Brisbane

We had a look at the photo boards and bought about 5. They were photo-shopped so it looked a bit like our faces were made of wax.

We arrived back in Brisbane at 6am and were off the ship by 7.30am. I can't wait for my next cruise.

Publication Date: 07/26/11