Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by rmkmjrkr: Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

rmkmjrkr
Member Since 2011

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: July 2011

We travelled with another couple who, along with us have sailed previously with Carnival, the last time was 3/2010. I will say that we all thought that the Liberty was the prettiest ship we have been on. We all liked the style of the decor. Embarkation was fine and went very smoothly. We boarded the ship and went for our traditional fish and chips in the upstairs area which proved once again to be less crowded than deck 9. We went to our cabins at 1:30 - we had requested adjoining balconies when we purchased the tickets. When we arrived at our rooms, we called guest services to have the balcony opened and were told that even though the rooms were next to each other, the balcony could not be opened. We asked if there was any way to change one of the rooms since the balcony could be opened on the other side and by changing just one room, it would be possible. We were abruptly told that it wouldn't be possible. When one of the other members of our party called later, he was also rudely More told that it wasn't possible and that "she had already explained that to someone." Needless to say, we were disappointed since much of our enjoyment of our cruises is to sit together on the balcony and enjoy the peace and quiet. We still did sit out there but we either had to yell across the partition or all sit on one balcony.

Our rooms were on deck 8 and were evidently located in such a place that they were directly below the area of the lido deck where the chairs are located. We had almost constant noise from moving of the chairs at all hours of the day and night. We were also directly across from the laundry where people gathered to iron and the conversational noise was very loud.

We found that there were an abundance of unsupervised teenagers and children running the halls at all hours of the night. At one point during the midnight noise, I opened my door only to have someone nearly fall into the room because they were sitting and leaning against my door having a very loud conversation.

We also found that the dining experience was not nearly what other Carnival cruises have been. Previously, we have been seated in the main dining area. This cruise we were seated in what I call the "steerage" area of the dining room - the area (outer two sides) of the downstairs. The window seats in this area are fine. Our seats were on the long bench type seating that backs the area where the waiters prepare the plates. Dining for this cruise was a noise-filled rush. We felt like we were surrounded by uncontrolled children - in fact the kids at the next table down the bench had a conversation about nose picking during one dinner. I realize that isn't Carnival's fault but it would seem to me that the reservations department could take a look at where they are seating people. Perhaps repeat passengers or all adult parties could receive preferred seating in the dining area? The waiters were good although I felt like we were not treated in an elegant manner as in past cruises because of the location, the rush and noise. I agree with other reviewers that Carnival does not enforce any kind of dress code for dinner. We also had numerous minor annoyances - no bread for one meal, no Parmesan cheese for Caesar salad or pasta dishes, no horseradish for prime rib, warm wine for one meal. Again, I feel this is because of the rush to get us in and out which I didn't feel when we have been seated in other aread of the dining room.

I also do not think that there are as many activities as there once had been for those who do not enjoy being shoulder to shoulder in the lukewarm pool or who do not wish to bake in the sun on the deck.

All in all, we had a good time. I just wish that Carnival had been a little more flexible in our requests to accommodate returning customers who may not return again. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Panorama

We asked for adjoining balconies and were told that even though our balconies adjoined, the partition could not be opened. We would have asked for another room at the time of reservation had we known this. Agents need to be aware of rooms that are like this and not confirm adjoining balconies when that isn't what passengers will receive.