“GREAT people, GREAT experience, all-around GREAT cruise”
Cruise review of Holland America Zuiderdam

labsal Zuiderdam 5 GREAT people, GREAT experience, all-around GREAT cruise
labsal
Member Since 2011
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
[I read a disgruntled cruiser's review of this same trip and I feel like we were on 2 separate planets. Don't know how it could be, but our experience was So different!]

We were expecting a good experience on HAL's Zuiderdam to the Inside Passage, but our cruise exceeded expectations in every way:

PEOPLE: I've never seen such a group of smiling, helpful and friendly people anywhere. Cabin stewards were exceptional as were waiters, tour guides, front desk people -- and the great, informative tour guide (Shane) and Captain Timmers. I hope for equally helpful staff members on future cruises.

CABIN: Gorgeous, beautifully kept and immaculate at all times. Couldn't have been better (we had a large balcony and spent a lot of time on it.)

LIDO BUFFETS: We had excellent food and great service here. Would gladly return -- I'm diabetic and I very much appreciated the low carb foods and no-sugar-added desserts -- delicious and guilt-free!

VISTA DINING ROOM: Had great food and nice service. Only exception was the last night when the staff was distracted by doing a "show" while serving -- this delayed service noticeably. Nice thought, tho.

CANALETTO: This was the only place we had mediocre food -- 2 entres were tasteless. I'd focus some attention here, Zuiderdam.

PINNACLE GRILL: Fantastic. My husband's salmon was "the best piece of fish I've ever eaten" (and he eats LOTS of fish) and my beef was fork-tender. Super.

ROOM SERVICE: Just great. We ordered our breakfast ("eggbeater" omelettes, oatmeal, muffins, etc.) and everything was hot and delicious.

FOOD Altogether: I wish I could have brought them home!

PUBLIC AREAS: very nice. A previous reviewer complained of these facilities but I can't agree. The ship was beautiful and impressive. We went on a "behind the scenes" tour of the whole facility and were impressed at the scrupulous cleanliness of galleys, storage rooms, etc. They recycle everything they can.

DIDN'T USE: casino, bars (much) or spa.

NATURE GUIDES AND EXPERIENCES: Top notch and greatly exceeded expectations!

WOULD DO AGAIN IN AN INSTANT!

Zuiderdam Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite

Port
Didn't spend too much time in Juneau itself (except for the super beer/fish stand on the left of the dock == super Halibut tacos). HOwEVER, we went on the nature walk/whale watching shore excursion and saw 30-40 orcas leaping in unison, jumping, carrying on and an 20+ humpback whales (doing their bubble-net fishing, cool)! We are still talking about this. Don't miss it.

Read 1,109 Juneau Reviews
Port
My husband did the 4-wheel drive trip and was disappointed -- said it was lots of bouncing with no view. I had stayed on the ship and watched the numerous, busy bald eagles fishing and carrooming around in the dock area. That was great!

Read 1,249 Ketchikan Reviews
Published 07/25/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Zuiderdam Review
Zuiderdam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?