Carnival Magic Cruise Review by sbmcpa: First time on Carnival

First time on Carnival

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Upon flying into Barcelona, we were met by Carnival representatives and efficiently transferred to the ship. The boarding process was extremely well done. So far, so good.

Our balcony cabin was a decent size. Very comparable to our last cabin on Holland America except there was a shower and no tub. The balcony was a little smaller but perfectly adequate. The bed was very comfortable. Our cabin steward provided first rate service.

Magic is a very large (4500+ passengers)brand new ship. It was quite attractive but did not have the "wow" factor of the new Royal Caribbean ships or the elegance of the Holland America ships. Nohing bad, but nothing special.

We had open dining and ate in the dining room five nights and in the specialty restaurants twice. Two of the meals I had in the dining room were good, two were tasteless and one was awful. The specialty restaurant served one of the best steaks (a porterhouse) I've ever had, although $30 per person is steep. We More ate the other night at La Cocina di Captaino. We were surprised to find the menu to be limited and the food nothing special. The dining room and restaurant service was excellent.

My wife has mobility issues so we only took tours described as Easy. Easy Rome was a problem. The bus dropped us quite a distance from St. Peter's. Much too far to walk in the summer heat. Many on the tour just gave up walking to the Vatican and went to grab some pizza a place to sit in the shade.

Our tour in Messina was a ride to Mt. Etna and a visit to a jewelry factory.

The sightseeing at Mt. Etna was very interesting but my wife was very upset when we found that the factory was in a villa and it was necessary to climb an eleven step marble staircase, without a banister. We wound up sitting outside for an hour. I believe that Carnival did not adequately describe these two excursions.

We had a major problem with Guest Relations that I won't get into other than to say that they had the worst attitude I've encountered on any cruise.

Overall, I was disappointed in this cruise. The ship was okay but nothing special. The food was not up to the competition. The attitude at Guest Relations was totally unacceptable. I don't expect to cruise on Carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Verandah 8336

Good location near midship elevators. Smallish balcony. When docked, the best views were on the other side of the ship.

We actually didn't go to Florence this trip because there was too much walking for my wife. We traveled through the Tuscan countryside and visited a winery. Very enjoyable. I've visited Florence previously. If you don't mind walking, don't miss Florence.

Oh for the life of the rich and famous.

Read 191 Monaco Reviews

We actually went to Messina, not Palermo. Not much to see in Messina but the Sicilian countryside is interesting and Mt. Etna is worth the trip. We passed by Taormina. It looked like it would be a great place to visit if you can walk uphill.

Read 102 Palermo Reviews

All you can get is a taste of Rome on a cruise excursion. There is just too much to see and too little time.