Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by luvbermuda

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: luvbermuda
Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: C2

Exceeded expectations!
Since I have sailed on Celebrity Solstice which was wonderful, I was a little concerned about our cruise on the Summit since it was an older and smaller ship. However, we were very pleased!

My husband and I arrived at Cape Liberty about 10:30 AM and were on the ship at 11 AM. We were on the first shuttle to the ship as we had a concierge room which gave us priority boarding. We immediately went to the buffet which was not at all crowded. We enjoyed lunch while viewing the Statue of Liberty.

Cabins were ready at 1. My husband's luggage came immediately but mine did not arrive until about 3:30 or so. After he unpacked, we explored the ship. Everything was fine- we had no complaints. The pools were small but it is an older ship so we weren't expecting more.

Our cabin attendant, Bart, was excellent. We did have a problem with our toilet not flushing and although a plumber was sent twice, it still did not work properly. You never knew when it would flush. However, guest services did work with us on this and we were satisfied.

The food was good- not great but not poor. The breakfast buffet was very good with many selections. We ate in the dining room for breakfast once but preferred the buffet. We only ate twice in the main dining room for dinner. Our server was wonderful but we didn't care for the menu most nights. We did eat there for the second formal night. My husband filet was wonderful but my seafood entree with the lobster was just okay. The lobster tail was mushy and nothing to rave about. However, the Baked Alaska presentation was fun.

The full buffet is not available at dinner so I wound up at the pasta station everything which again was good not great. I wish they would keep the regular buffet open at dinner time.

The shows were all good. We especially enjoyed the comedian and Doug Cameron who did a violin show with his own touch.

We did use the ship excursions to Horseshoe Bay twice for convenience and knowing we would return to the ship on time. It also gives you a chance to see some of the scenery along the way. Horseshoe Bay is gorgeous and the water was amazing. We were lucky as we had perfect weather on our trip.

We did take the ferry to St. George to see Bermuda from the water and left after 5 minutes- taking the bus to Hamilton to see more of the island. I only saw 2 shops that were open. Even the ice cream place was closed. There are historic areas if you want tour them, though.

We had a very good lunch at Flanagan's Irish Pub and then went in the shops (actually I did that while my husband just enjoyed the water front).

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on the Summit again especially after it becomes Solsticized!

Publication Date: 07/23/11