Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Christine Kirby: Not up to standard

Not up to standard

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

This was a cruise we took my son and his girlfiend on, so they could experience the wow factor we get from cruising, thinking the newly launched QE would be just that, how wrong could I be.

The decor of the ship is excellent, the beautiful wood panelling is quite stunning.

However, the service was poor, for instance I was still eating my starter, when my fellow guests were served their main course, very bad etiquette. The entertainment was awful, I think the same show was repeated within the 5 days. The theatre lacked finishing touches that other good cruise lines offer, like a table for drinks between seats, we had to either hold our glasses or grope round in the dark for them on the floor.

The onboard shops were dull and boring, we were looking forward to Fortum and Mason, which was very pokey and only appeared to sell loads of different teabags and toothpaste.

Whilst I appreciate Cunard appeals to the older passenger, my son and his girlfriend at More 26 were the youngest by far, and we in our early sixties whilst certainly not ravers seemed young compared to other passengers.

This is the second time I have cruised with Cunard, neither times did I enjoy, so I will stick to the cruise lines I love i.e. Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I wont ever sail with Cunard again. Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Oceanview Deck 1

The cabins were comfortably furnished, nothing special, nice to have dressing gowns and slipper.

The most appaling port to embark, only one check in, and the queue probably took over an hour to clear.