Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by idamae3218

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by idamae3218
Freedom of the Seas
Public Rooms 5+
        13-15 4.0
        16+ 4.0

Great time on FOS
We sailed on FOS 7/10-7/17.

Background. My DH & I are in our 40's, two teen boys, 17 & 14. This was our 7th cruise, 5th on RC. Other two were Norwegian & Celebrity. Norwegian was a while ago and no interest in returning, Celebrity was last year and was a little too stuffy for us and not much for teens. We haven't been on a RC cruise in a while, so we were really looking forward to it.

We rented a car from Avis at the airport and drove to the Radisson in Post Canaveral the night before. Hotel was clean and convenient to the local Avis for drop off and the Port. Only thing was the bathroom. We had a suite since we had our boys with us, separate bedroom and living room. However, the bathroom was in the bedroom. Not much fun at 3am when the 14 yr old had to go. We ate dinner at Grills and watched a Carnival ship sail out. Good food, not bad prices.

Embarkment Sunday. Dropped off rental and took shuttle to port. We arrived around 11 and were on the ship by 12. Windjammer was crowed as expected. I wanted to eat in Sorrentos for pizza, which was empty! But teenage stomachs wanted something more substantial.

In rooms by 1pm. We had two Oceanview rooms at the front of deck 6. Nice view of the water and front row coming into ports.

The ship is amazing! Our last RC ship was EOS about 5 years ago. FOS has a very similar layout, so it was easy to navigate. However, there are some great differences. The touchscreens by the elevators were a great idea. We used them often. We saw a 3D movie in the main theater which was a new experience.

We loved the cantilevered whirlpools in the solarium. We spent a few hours during port days enjoying it. Only thing it was missing was a cafe/food service in this area. In fact, there is no outdoor food availabile. You have to go past two more pools into the Windjammer to eat. A miss to me for FOS.

The H2O zone looked like a fun time for kids. The big whirlpool would be fun for adults too! I would have loved a water slide like on the new Norwegian ship Epic.

Food:

We ate in the main dining room 4 nts, including the 2nd formal night. The food was good, we had the lobster and the lamb shank, both were excellent. The 1st formal night we ate ate Chops Grille. More than worth the cover charge. Food and service were excellent. Windjammer was great for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was ok.

Teen program. Both participated in their age group. They enjoyed hanging out at the Living Room and Fuel the best. The Flowrider and Rock wall weren't a big draw for them.

Ports: We did a laid back week and did not do any excursions.

Labadee: We love Labadee and enjoyed the improvements. The boys did the roller coaster, once was enough. I did the zipline to concur my fear of heights. It was a great experience! I recommend it.

Falmouth: Wasn't impressed. We've been to Jamaica many times, so another excursion wasn't in the plans. The vendors weren't the typical negotiating locals I'm use to. I did better going a little ways into town. We bought Marqaritas near the ship before getting back onbard, they were very tasty.

Grand Cayman. Just did some shopping.

Cozumel. Planned to do an excusrion, but everyone was up late. so we did some shopping. Showed my older son how to haggle for a cross he wanted. Had lunch at a local restatuarnt near the outdoor shopping sqaure. Live music. very nice

The cruise director, Graham, was the best we have ever had. His morning show, adult comedey show and hosting of Quest were awesome.

Cabin steward Ramond was the best. He knew to let the boys sleep in each day. Waiter Damion and assistant Ping in the My time on deck 5 gave great service each time we visted the MDR.

Ship is big, but never really felt crowded except the first day.

Disembarkment: We opted for Express. We kept our bags and walked off. No looking for bags off a carousel. We took Cocoa Beach Shuttle to the Embassy Suites by the airport, our flight was the next morning.

Overall, this was one of our best cruises. Hope to do OOS next year.

Publication Date: 07/21/11