Carnival Magic Cruise Review by clforte: Carnival Magic was Magical

Carnival Magic was Magical

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I will begin with the registration in Spain, the smoothest check-in ever. Then our rooms were great. The excursions, that we booked through Carnival met our expectations and beyond. Our guides were so knowledgeable and we saw everything.

Please keep in mind this cruise is very port intensive. We made a stop every day and then we only had one day at sea. That does not leave a lot of time for "fun Ship" activity time, and many people took a break near the end of our cruise, but not us... We went everyday non-stop we can rest when we get home.

In Rome, which I would like to refer to as "Rome on Roller skates" due the fast pace that our guide took us, but Paola was wonderful allowing us to see so much in such a short amount of time. TAKE WATER with you. The guide in Pisa, Simona was wonderful too, we arrived at Pisa fist thing that morning and when we left that was when the crowds got very heavy. Make sure you bring change for the bathroom. R-R-Rosanna in Pompeii and More the Amalfi coast was great! and Ignasio in Messina was the best! Let me say that if you are over 21 take the Mt. Etna and Wine tour. We were treated like family and the food was fabulous.

WATCH YOUR TIME! Always take the Fun Ship newsletter with you so you know when to return to the ship. Allow time to get back to the ship. Many of our ports require you to go to a location either by bus, or shuttle. Make sure you watch the clock so that you don't end up at the dock waving good bye to the ship. We were told to hang on to our purses and wallets because there are people with sticky fingers. I didn't experience this, but I did keep up with my bags.

John the cruise director was the best, he made us all laugh and we will never forget Pat Patterson and his wife Mary. They were the hits of the cruise. He also took time to read letters that passengers wrote to loved ones on the ship. That was a great way to honor the guest on the ship.

All of the staff was helpful and the trip was the best ever. We are looking forward to Magic's arrival in Texas, but my husband and I will never forget this trip as long as we live. Thank you Carnival for such a wonderful time in Europe. We can't wait to take our children with us the next time. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Upper 6257

Our cabin was just right. We were only in the cabin to sleep and wash up. most of our time was spent doing shore excursions and hanging out on around the ship. The room had a great view of the sea and of the ports of call. Our steward was wonderful Noor and Lucy! We will miss them.

We selected the Pisa and Florence excursion with Carnival. Glad that we did, the guide was fabulous, getting to Pisa first thing in the morning was an excellent move because... it was cooler and no one was there. We were the first group to arrive, and by the time we climbed down from walking up to the top of the bell tower the grounds were full of tourist. Remember to take change for the bathroom. .30e will get you a clean bathroom. The lunch was nice. We ate in Florence, our guide was informative showing us the highlights and Cathedral of Florence was incredible. Make sure you have Gelato at Vivol's pay first and enjoy. We had time to eat and shop and have Gelato.

We did Monaco on our own, however quite a few people were left out in the cold by the taxi services. The taxi driver would say that would be there and from what I was told they would not ever show up. Hopefully this was an isolated occurrence. Many people felt like they were not welcomed in Monaco, but I didn't feel that at all. We walked up to the castle took our pictures of the changing of the guide. Walked around the gardens and had a bite to eat then we walked back to the ship. Monaco was nice, but not the high light of our trip.

Read 192 Monaco Reviews

We did not go into Naples directly, we took a bus to Pompeii and then a boat ride up the Amalfi Coast. Our guide R-R-Rosanna was so funny, we felt like we were riding around with a friend. Pompeii is breath taking. So much more then what you have read about in grade school, the Amalfi Coast trip by boat the best! Then we went into Amalfi and spent a little time there and back to the ship. I encourage everyone to keep up with your time so as NOT to be late arriving to the ship. We had to wait for a few families to board the ship. And apparently someone was left at the shore because they were unaware of when to return. But the Cruise director states every morning when to return. It is posted as you leave the ship.

Amalfi was great the lunch was good too.

Read 652 Naples Reviews

I call this "Rome on Roller skates" only because would were moving quickly, so that we could see as many sights as possible with in our short amount of time. It was HOT, but we made it to the important places. Our guide was wonderful. she was knowledgeable about everything. The Guide at Vatican was wonderful as well, I felt like I was in church. These guides know so much! We chose Carnival's excursions, because we were not sure what to expect in Europe. We were so happy that we did, because we made it back to the ship in a timely fashion, and we got to see and do so much in the time what we had.