Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by jdvmd: Wonderful cruise on the beautiful Sun

Member Since 2004
13,133 Posts

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

Wonderful cruise on the beautiful Sun

Sail Date: June 2011
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

We sailed on the NCL Sun June 4-13. This was my 44th cruise but first time to the Baltic. We also sailed on the Sun two years ago doing a 14-night South American itinerary. We loved the ship just as much this time around.

Because this was such a port-intensive trip, we knew we would only be using our cabin for sleeping and showering. We opted for a mid-ship inside guarantee for my husband, myself and our 13-year-old.

This was a great choice and may be one of my favorite cabins we have had over the years. The space and storage were excellent. We were in Cabin No. 8329 on the Viking Deck, which was one of the insides that is turned sideways. Seemed like it was larger than normal but I think it was just an illusion. We asked for additional pillows and to put extra padding on the sofa bed.

We had perfect weather for the trip -- every day was nothing but sunshine. If I had known in advance how great the weather would have been, a balcony would have been More wonderful. The Baltic is incredible calm.... Like sailing on glass. I ended up getting a better tan on this cruise than I did on my Southern Caribbean cruise in April. I have read reports that the sailing after ours was nothing but rain and cold.

Room was very quiet and a great location. Down the hall (aft), up one flight and were were at the buffet.

Service was outstanding and not in a forced kind of way. The cabin steward was excellent. He was very friendly, quick to respond to our minimal requests and the cabin was kept spotless. It was almost like he was invisible.

The waiters were fantastic that we encountered in both the Seven Seas or Four Seasons restaurants. We mostly ate at the Four Seasons and fell in love with a wonderful server named Mary Lane. She was exceptional. We ate in the Four Seasons several nights and would just show up and ask for her table. We never had to wait for a table. She would always accommodate us even if she had several more tables than usual or if she were ready to quit her shift. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and thought it was some of the best that we have had on NCL.

In Helsinki, were were able to purchase wine at Stockmann's. Great selection on the bottom floor of Finland's largest store. We brought it back to the ship and paid the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Our cabin steward always washed our glasses and kept them ready for the next bottle.

Never had the opportunity to order room service. We always grabbed breakfast at the Great Outdoors as the lines are nothing like there were in the buffet. Also in Moderno, a continental breakfast was set up and nicely done. You could also get breakfast pizzas etc.

We also ate at the Sports Bar, LeBistro as well as Il Adagio. The food at LeBistro ($20) was top notch (we ate on the first sea day) but something was amiss with the service. On the contrary, the service at Il Adagio ($10) was perfect. We had our usual booth and enjoyed a beautiful view as well as a great meal. The house red wine was excellent and well priced.

My son didn't participate in any of the teen programs so no comment on that. Also didn't do any spa or salon time. Had some friends that did and were happy.

Two things not happy with: We needed to change a 100 Euro bill into smaller bills. We were told at Guest Services to come back in the morning between 9 a.m. and noon, which we did. Waited in long for quite a long time only to be told that there would be a service charge of $15 to break the 100 Euro bill into smaller denominations. Thought that was ridiculous.

Also, my husband went to work out early before leaving for an excursion. The gym equipment was turned off until 8 a.m. so he couldn't exercise. He proceeded to the promenade on Deck 5 but it was also closed off so he could only walk up and down on one side.

We found the entertainment to be a bit lacking except for the group 4Ever. They were outstanding. In addition, there was a German folk dance troupe with a German food buffet poolside. Also there was a Russian folk show held poolside as well. We played trivia as much as we could (won several times) and also shared a martini tasting ($15). We tried to do the margarita tasting but no one else showed up so it was canceled.

We booked private excursions through SPb in St. Petersburg, Berlin, Tallinn and Helsinki. All were very good. We had no problem getting off the ship in St. Petersburg. Be prepared for a crowd as everyone wants to do this too. The customs line contained both NCL and independent tour people. On the second day, we walked right through.

Embarkation as well as disembarkation were a breeze. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8329

Great storage space. Loved the layout of the room. Bed very comfortable. Small shower area and bathroom. Very convenient location.